the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Pool Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pool Frog programme coming up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 8:10pm
Can anyone give me a contact address for John Baker?

With thanks,

Richard
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 8:28pm
Hi Richard

See PM I have just sent you

Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 12:18pm
Maybe this isn't the best place for this post... but here goes.
Went to Ham Wall RSPB reserve near Glastonbury yesterday. Fantastic time as always. Heard the Iberian Frogs in various places, but only individuals. This was good as it meant the 'song' could really be heard, unlike the usual wall of sound which we've normally heard there.
As we left the reserve had the luck to watch a grass snake swimming in one of the drains which hold lots of rudd.

Suz
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 7:47pm
Here in the South East we have frogs which make an absolute din, sounds like people laughing really loudly and nothing at all like you would expect a frog in the Uk to sound - are they likely to be the same species as these, i never get a chance to actually see them as they are in ponds and dykes which i don't have access to.
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 8:36pm
Others on here will likely be best able to answer your question Chubsta. An absolute din describes them, yes. What was strange yesterday was that in several places just individuals were calling and yes some of the noises did sound human. I'd never been able to see them before this year as they were in hidden ditches, but the RSPB have made viewing places so that was good. They seem to sit on top of water plants instead of just having head and shoulders out, so good views are possible.
Suz
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 9:39am
Originally posted by chubsta chubsta wrote:

Here in the South East we have frogs which make an absolute din, sounds like people laughing really loudly and nothing at all like you would expect a frog in the Uk to sound - are they likely to be the same species as these, i never get a chance to actually see them as they are in ponds and dykes which i don't have access to.

The Hamm Wall frogs are Iberian green frogs, Pelophylax perezi. Most of the Kent green frogs are Marsh frogs, P. ridibundus (though there are apparently some P. perezi in the Sheppey area).

I'm sure there are lots of places with public access where you could see them. I've seen lots from public footpaths near Appledore (though that was a long time ago).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic