the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

desperately seeking sunshine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 9:31am
Thanks Ray, proof that Blackpool is 'the sunshine resort'!
Mark_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 5:06pm
Saw my first baby common lizard in South Wales yesterday.
Ray999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 7:29pm
Yes Suzi/ Will you are right, as you have said before Suzi, there were many market gardens around here, the area has its own micro climate with most of the heavy rain clouds being taken by the mountains of North Wales, the Pennines and the Lake District.
One thing that does surprise me is that there are many gravid female commons about and they are on course to give birth as normal but it appears to be a very poor year for the sand lizards here. Only 2 of the 4 I have here have laid eggs producing 15 eggs, about the same as last year.I was hoping for all four to lay and also some to double clutch. The females in the wild also appear to be struggling. There does not seem to be as many about as previous years and those that  were/are gravid are certainly weeks behind previous years. As they are able to move around to incubate their eggs the same as commons I can only assume that being a few weeks behind they have never really had any good weather to brings things along, hopefully with better weather forcast for August things will sort themselves out, only time will tell how many babies make it.
Ray.      
ray999
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 5:39pm
Three ladies comparing stretch marks today,

but still at least one yet to pop - so late for the south-east!

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 5:44pm
I think she's looking at those two thinking, "please let me get this over with" she's a proper sausage!

Edited by GemmaJF - 13 Aug 2012 at 5:44pm
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 6:01pm
I bet - poor gal! 
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 6:21pm
she looks about to explode. got your number Will cheers was getting set but weather has changed It was this week last year for the ca sightings so might be lucky again ,cheers keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic