the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

young commons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: young commons
    Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 7:21pm
I've read somewhere that the earliest that young common lizards are born can be late June but usually it occurs late July and August etc. However, out and about in Allerthorpe today I twice saw young which had lost their bronze/black colour and already started to acquire their brown colouring. They seemed too small to be last years young but too advanced to be this years newborns. Has this year's terrible weather just not given last years young the opportunities to feed and grow or could it be possible that they are this years young which were born a good few weeks ago ? Sorry I didn't get any pics.
Chris 
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 7:33pm

Hi Chris

I think it is probably the effect of this year's terrible weather. I have also seen other species which are clearly not as well fed or developed as they might be. A lot of it is als down to micro-climate. My own (adult) Sand Lizards have fed very little this year - only recently have we had sufficiently high day and night time temperatures. As a result, they are laying smaller clutches than usual and were clearly not in tip-top condition.

Fortunately, having laid, temperatures have risen and they are now eating like mad!

Certainly, however, that evidence leads me to suspect that the weather is the problem.

All the best

Chris

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
B Lewis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 12:29am
They are probably last years with all the problems and symptoms you both have suggested. I have captured a few like that on one of my sites and examined them closely, very small individuals indeed. However, some of the females are only a week or so away from dropping so if this week provides some good weather we might start seeing this years youngsters out and about fairly soon. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic