the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Common Lizard "soft spot".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 6:50pm

Yes, I reckon blindworm sounds even worse than slowworm, Suzy.  I was going to suggest the French for slowworm, ie ‘Orvet’, but Keith wouldn’t like that, for sure…LOL

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 7:34pm
No way you will put up with that eh Keith LOL

How about though the Stealth Worm?

They are quite difficult to find and Stealth kind of gives them a nice modern military sort of mystique. Far better than 'slow' which these days sounds too much like they might be mentally retarded and not at all PC.

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

OK ben I'll change it to:'not really that common anymore in the wider countryside, around here, frog' [IMG]smileys/smiley2.gif" alt="Wink" I wonder if Chris can update the ID page to reflect the new name!

very snappy. for the Latin, how about Rana temporaria rarus in meridianus oriens?

agree 'Slow Worm' is crappy and 'Blind Worm' worse. suggest Legless Bronze Lizard?

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 9:08pm

Liking them both, folks – Stealth Worm makes me think of that classic film ‘Tremors’..

Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 1:00pm
Much as I like "not really that common anymore in the wider countryside, around here, frog", I can see one problem - and that is we could substitute toad, newt, lizard, snake for frog with total justification - but then they would all have almost the same name!

And, no, I am not going to change the name in the ID pages!!  SmileTongue
Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 1:15pm
Hmmmm hadn't thought of that Chris Wink

Testudo Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Testudo Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 1:42pm
Wow, didn't expect this type of response, kept me amused though, cheers for the laughs Wink.

Whilst our common lizard will always be known as...the common lizard, i think its far from common, and possibly deserves a more fitting name!?

Anyway, this thread sucks/fails without at least one photo! so here is, at least one photo.

Yesterday(lunch break from work) my intention was to sight/photograph a reptile, whilst there was still snow on the ground. I thought i would get lucky with an adder near some snow(which would make for an interesting record/photo). I did see 4 male adders, but they were not as close to the snow as i would have liked.
However, my first common lizard sighting for 2013 was a beauty, this lovely lizard was in fact, basking near some snow!

A common lizard, in March, basking near a clump of snow, in Kent...not such a "common" sight!...well, not a common sight for me. Cheers.

This photo is not cropped at all.

Another shot of the same lizard, but here, it is basking on a log.

Edited by Testudo Man - 15 Mar 2013 at 2:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic