the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Sand Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

too tyred to fight ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 12:33pm
Thanks Richard.  They certainly are loaded with ticks; would be interesting to see if males have a higher load than females, perhaps moving around more and/or stressed with competing for mates?  They seem to survive OK with them, but I would imagine on a small lizard they could be very damaging.  I suppose another reason why your suburban lizards might have been so big could have been the abundance of inverts in abandoned gardens, piles of rubble etc.  I'm surprised the local cats didn't exterminate them, even with all the crevices in the rubble.   Like so many 'brownfield' sites, this one sounds much better than many a traditional habitat!

Cheers

Will
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 12:42pm
But unfortunately it's long gone - and it wasn't a place there was ever much chance of preserving: a small pocket of suburban wasteland.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 8:36am
Glad to see your getting some sightings Will I havent had the chance of looking on the S west sites yet and getting a bit twitchy, any ca showing yet & have you viewed the soldiers rd area yet ? keith

Edited by AGILIS - 09 May 2012 at 8:39am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 10:38am
Hi Keith, saw my first Ca last weekend - I think they're starting to emerge from a protracted slumber.  Not been to Soldiers Road as yet.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 12:42pm
the final result of tyre-based tussles between male sandies...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic