the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Photography
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Remote camera, PIR and reptiles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remote camera, PIR and reptiles
    Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 9:45pm
Does anyone know if PIR trail cameras work with reptiles.

I have read conflicting views on the internet, just wondering if anyone on here had tried ?

Ian
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 8:01am
There is no reason that it shouldn't work, depending on the size of the reptile/sensitivity of your system. 
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 9:15am
Will had some interesting results with infra-red imaging, which would point to reptiles producing a signature that could be sensed by a PIR system. I think though I would go the live film route at a good basking spot myself. 
Madfossa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 10:06pm
Thanks for the replies, I have used it on badger setts to prove they are still in use and also with fox activity.
I had read on the web someone saying that PIR wouldnt activate with reptiles, and also that it would.
I just need to find a safe place to test it out Wink. No particular reason for using it other than i can Wink
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 12:21pm
Since reptiles can emit heat at an increased level to that of their surrounds and are also highly mobile, there is no reason why PIR couldn't be easily developed, or a standard system used, to monitor them. Moreover, PIR sensors can be activated by the movements of the smallest heat emitting animals so scale should not be an issue either, depending (i'd imagine) on the sensitivity and likely the cost! of the system used. As Gemma points out it wouldn't be much use unless you were watching a favoured basking area or knew a migration route. Otherwise i'd imagine you'd get very little return for your efforts, although you should certainly give it a go if you've got the drive! A road crossing a stream between known habitats (with Rob V's dreaded steep overspills) might be a good spot to monitor using PIR! (or beneath the bridge itself/at a hibernaculum to detect numbers). See (buy) the book 'Grass Snakes' by Rob Vaughn!

A PIR system might also be useful to detect animals if you were bottle-necking their movements using artificial manipulation. Amphibian studies have used motion sensitive cameras to count amphibian numbers going to and from breeding pools via purpose built channels in the ring fencing.
Cheers   
Madfossa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 11:29pm
Thanks Noodles,
I was thinking about using it as a less intrusive way of watching a local patch, using it for population counts of a given area (just ideas at the moment). Its a 5Mp camera and can record either video or stills. Yes I am aware of the sensitivity and have plenty of stills of woodmice and rats. I like the idea of of new migration routes or between habitats too.
Is that the same Rob V that posts on here?
Just ordered it on Amazon.
Thanks for the info
Ian
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Madfossa Madfossa wrote:

Thanks Noodles,

Is that the same Rob V that posts on here?

Ian

You mean Rob hasn't already tried to flog you a copy? LOL
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 9:26am
Cheers Ian and good luck with it all. Make sure you post the outcome, i think it would be a very interesting study (time permitting i'm sure!) 
Cheers
Madfossa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 9:29am
Oh Wow, damn does he offer discounts to forum membersWink
Ordered on amazon...looks really good, must pm him.
Madfossa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 9:33am
Cheers again Noodles, Meant to say i will take camera along next visit and just see if it works ok...cant believe i didnt think of that before..doh!!!!
terrified of it getting pinchedCry
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic