the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Common Frog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote froglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Common Frog
    Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 2:03pm

Hi everyone just joined and need some advice. Around this time last year i spotted a pair of frogs in a walled area of my garden, the male was on the back of the female. I let them be and in time they disappeared, a few days later i noticed a large clump of spawn on a downspout grid which is the only source of water in that area.... and not knowing what to do i collected it and put it in a bucket of water. Nothing ever developed so i obviously did the wrong thing, i have just spotted a pair again and they will probably do the same thing. Any advice would be grateful as i do not want the same thing to happen again this year.

Many thanks.

David.

kit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 9:11am
Dont put chlorinated tap water in the bucket as this will kill the frog spawn use rain water from a water but or leave the water for a few days so the chemicals can go. Also the water in wich you found them may of contained harmeful chemicals in try puting a container of water in your garden sunk into the ground with a few plant
kit
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 10:36am
put a small pond in the garden...problem solved Wink

tim
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 11:07am
I've reared them in tap water in the past but I left the bucket outside with the water in for 2 or 3 days before putting the spawn in.
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic