the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK RIVERS SIGNAL CRAYFISH SCOURGE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 4:14pm
The license is to do with controlling fishing - without rods i.e. trapping in any river or stream the EA wants to regulate where traps are going in etc. 

The white clawed crayfish are getting rarer and rarer and are vulnerable so allowing trapping in areas may help wipe them out further by spreading plague etc.

Here is the curse of the celebrity chef article from Hampshire Wildlife Trust 

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 6:22pm
Sorry I cant agree with this spreading of disease by trapping the damage has already been done by all the effluent and crap that has entered our waters through years of abuse from the water authorities and by farmers abstracting water turning once fast flowing rivers and trout streams into nothing but silted up sewers, or just clogged up with weed due to lack of cutting control as in the past, Getting back to the crays its to late they are here to stay so lets get some for the table and enjoy them. with a nice bottle of your choice. keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 7:19am
Well taking advantage of a free arvo near Bury St Edmunds I decided to give my home made cray fish net made out of a push bike rim,so headed to the River Lark that has a infestation of American signal crayfish,so loaded the net with some chicken carcasses I chucked it in and in about 5 mins I had 4 so in less then a hour I had over 60. I must say I did feel sorry for them, so to ease my conscience I donated them to my local bistro and wine bar that I inhabit that now has crayfish salad on the menu. I think they will never be eliminated the damage has been done and they are here to stay and we have to accept that as a fact also they have been established in the in the rivers longer then we think .keith

Edited by AGILIS - 05 Aug 2012 at 7:20am
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 8:12am
Hi keith  
 that sounds great and it is excellent that local crayfish is on the menu   

The issue with trapping signals is the ineffectiveness of this method and the problem of increasing the signal population by removing the larger animals (the eaters) leaving the young to explode pushing more out to the countryside  

In my town there is a good white clawed crayfish population so there is no chance of trapping even with permission of the owners of he river owners  

I guess in infested areas it does no harm to take a few forthw table the question is is it legal to do so? 
mickp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 5:50pm
I can remember Jack Hargreaves on the TV programme Out of Town demonstrating how to catch crayfish using a strange device that looked like an old bicycle wheel rim without the spokes and hub, this had a net spread across it and was suspended horizontally from a pole and line. Jack then lowered the contraption into the water so that it lay flat on the river bed. With some bait tied to it's centre in no time the net was positively crawling with crayfish. Jack smartly withdrew the device from the river and tipped the catch into a bucket, demonstrating how you could easily collect your own live-bait or a tasty snack.  Myself and a couple of mates had a go at this. What a disaster! We caught nothing and ended up chucking the thing into the river. For all I know it's there yet over forty years later somewhere in the disputed border lands between Chigwell and Buckhurst Hill, mute testimony to an early TV icon and the fact that there were no crayfish in the Roding.

Mike
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 9:30pm
HI MIKE THIS IS WHAT I USE a old bike rim with garden netting weighed down at the center,and I know the R Roding very well most of its upper reaches that once held the odd trout have been allowed to silt up an become weed infested a sad outcome for a once vibrant river Keith
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic