the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Great Crested Newt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Longest GCN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Longest GCN
    Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 11:25am
What is the longest GCN that any one on the forum has seen and measured ? In the book by Foster and Jehle ,it mentions females up to 200mm the longest female I saw and measured was 165mm.
Paul Hudson
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 9:06am
Someone in our local ARG caught two females in one bottle trap that were 165 and 167mm long, I don't think I've personally seen one over 150mm. I believe the record for any crested newt is a T. carnifex that was 209mm long- there was a publication in the early 90s describing this, including a photo.
B Lewis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 7:00pm
We have one or two females that top in excess of 160+mm, one in June 2010 that was 167, but more often between 130-150mm as part of our long term study here in Kent. It can vary greatly depending on the position of the newts when they are being measured by people but it's not impossible to larger individuals. We do have some animals that we now know are in excess of 12 years old..! :-)
MancD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MancD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 2:11pm

This is the largest one I've found, in a school pond in Cambridgeshire. Probably quite old, clearly full of eggs and we thought she was over 170mm

In the following week's survey, we found another female in a netting survey, and although smaller than the first one, when straightened out, she was just about 160mm. We brought a ruler with us, hoping to recapture the first female! They were different individuals as we photo'd the belly patterns of the newts we found in the pond. As it happens, these were the only two we found in the survey!
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 1:19pm
That is one freaky looking fem (top). I can't get over the head shape and bulging eyes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic