the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Photography
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new camera

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 1:13pm
Thanks Tim; 10-15 ft away is impressive for a lens that produces such good close-ups from only a few mm away too!
tim-f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 5:00pm
Hi,

I guess I count as a more experienced photographer, though not necessarily a better one!

Macro lenses are designed to focus more closely than an ordinary lens, but should give good results from close-up to infinity.  In reality, their performance will vary throughout the range.  Unless you're one of the wierdos who spend their time photographing test charts and agonising over the results you're unlikey to be bothered by that.

I generally use a 200mm macro lens for herps.  I also have a 105mm, which I rarely use, as the extra reach of the 200mm is useful.  With the 200mm I can fill the frame with something 2 inches long and be 18 inches away.  I think the Sigma focusses closer than that.  Or I can focus on something a foot long at about 4 yards - similar to Tim H.  Etc etc up to infinity.

Bear in mind that focal lengths can be confusing, as the magnification a lens gives will depend on the camera's sensor size.  Most DSLRs (except the horribly horribly expensive, as opposed to just horribly) have a sensor size of 16 x 24 mm.  Film SLRs (35mm) have an image size of 24 x 36mm.  So a lens on a DSLR will give a more magnified image than on a film SLR, by a factor of 1.5.  So, in old 35mm terms, a 200mm lens will act like a 300mm lens.  The focal lengths of lenses on compact digitals are tiny, which is because the sensors are also tiny.

Zoom lenses are great for photographing things which are a fixed distance away, but for things like herps I think "manual zoom" (i.e. using your legs) is generally more useful.

I hope that helps, and sorry if I'm telling you things you already know.

Tim.

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 5:45pm
Thanks Tim - I find the practical stuff like filling the frame with a 2in long object (animal) at 18 inches or a foot long one at 4 yards really useful stuff - cheers
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 8:39pm
one from today looking like it's really enjoying the sun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic