the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Train spotting to herps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Train spotting to herps
    Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 3:05pm
Well here is a pic of my "Hornby OO MALLARD LOCO " the sort of toys only the rich schoolboys had during my days as a lad, but we made up by being train spotters and seeing the real thing, then graduated to Angling & herping in the days when there was still loads of heaths that were not built on,any one else been a secrete train spotter & not scared to admit it. keith

Edited by AGILIS - 08 Jul 2011 at 3:06pm
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 3:18pm

Me sir, me sir!!  Thumbs Up

Although nowadays I am a railway modeller - as well as spending a substantial chunk of non-herping time chasing real trains. Month ago had a few days chasing narrow gauge trains in the Baie de Somme and the Haute Somme.  

You are not alone!

Chris

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 4:00pm
I have an engine and one carriage from 57 years ago! A set of Hornby OO was given me as a Xmas pressie but I'm sure it was for Dad really. Wind it up with a key and push little knobs in or out to make it go backwwards or forwards. Oh yes I still have some of the track! I think you slid sort of keys in to keep it together - but I don't have any of these. 
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 10:53pm
I think they are called Fishplates Suz, those little thingies to join the track. My Dad was the train buff in the family. I also got one of those Hornby clockwork trains, mine was plastic and red but was a wind up one with a lever for forward and reverse so much later I would guess. Sadly when my Dad died my Mum gave all his stuff to a local collector. It included some 00 gauge but also a lot of clockwork tinplate 0 gauge stuff which was really lovely, I especially remember there being metal milk churns that went in one of the carriages and the lovely Pullman coaches with hinged doors that could be opened. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic