the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Toad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toad n the vole

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 8:52pm
Slowies never go under this toad sack but they do go under plastic sacks I have about. They also go under upturned plastic tubs. I force rhubarb in spring under large tubs stuffed with straw (can't afford the lovely terracotta ones!)and I got quite a start one day as a slow worm had climbed right up through the straw and rhubard shoots to the top. I figure they don't use this flat-on-the-ground sack as it is out in the open with no vegetation to slink through to get to it. Perhaps feel too vulnerable.
Suz
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 10:36am
I caught this little fella and family under my slow-worm mats last week.

If you dunna grab 'em hard by the scruff of the neck they'll give you a nasty nip, although i think the Woodmouse the most viscous of the small mammals. Having said all that i still have the scar on my knuckle from a Water vole bite sustained over 20 years ago. Quite a badge of honour, i think, since they'll probably be extinct in this country before i am.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic