the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

off -the-wall walling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: off -the-wall walling
    Posted: 15 May 2011 at 7:09pm
hi folks,

i went to look at a bit of land for sale today. my dad is looking to buy a couple of acres or so and im gonna try and create better herp habitat on it by digging a carefully-planned pond, creating refugia/ potential basking sites (log and stone piles), cutting down trees to let light in if necessary etc etc
if it all comes off then i shall seek further habitat-establishment and/or management guidance (poss inc from YOU LOT!) and when i die ill leave the site to the Glos WLT.
thats the current plan anyhow!

the plot is an acre or so of open-aspect but thick and blanket, north-facing bramble/nettles/bracken with a bit of mature/semi-mature hazel and sycamore woodland to one side.
but its got issues (water i mean - not personal problems!)
so no need for artificial pond liners! wahey!
its the same valley as Stroud Cemetery (vipera/viv) as it happens.

anyway, as i explored i noticed what first appeared to be a typical woodland bank but turned out as a 30m wide stretch of "rubber".
- carefully-stacked car tyres partially-buried - and several metres high!
creating a huge artificial wall.

perhaps its an old silage clamp.

this top section has lots of hidey-holes for herps! yay!

stranger still was THIS walling beside the public footpath.
it looks like cotswold stone - but its just polystyrene blocks!!!!!

odd.

this construction is no problem for a hungry badger then.
wonder if he or she also mistook it for stone at first? ;

thanks for viewing.
your comments are invited!

regards, ben

Edited by ben rigsby - 15 May 2011 at 9:29pm
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 7:30am
Great idea Ben; I reckon a field in Dorset converted into various herpetiliaries for native species (like in the New Forest - but BIGGER!) would be a major tourist attraction (in spring and summer, anyway), good for public education, and as a captive breeding centre animals could be released into the wild in areas of newly created habitat.  Maybe start in Gloucs and set up in Dorset afterwards?!

One of the best adder sites I knew was an old quarry stuffed full of walls of old tyres - they loved the combo of elevation, warmth and cover.  The quarry got remediated and all those nasty tyres were got rid of...

Cheers

Will   
tim-f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 8:12pm
Good luck with the project Ben.  I'd love to have the cash and time to create a viable nature reserve from nothing.

From the tyres and polystyrene, I wonder if someone's previously tried to landscape the land?

Regards,

Tim.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic