the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Toad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

colour mutation?-Melanism? -update!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJfr0ggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: colour mutation?-Melanism? -update!
    Posted: 08 Aug 2003 at 10:26pm

Hello,

Along with the large ammount of  young toads ive found ( I think they have had quite a succesful year around my area), i found one which did look unusual. It has grey-black skin, which is sort of transloucent. Underneith it is pale, and i can almost see the organs inside it. THe most unususl think about it is that its eyes are compley black, there is not the distingtive bronzy eyes like a normal toad. It doesnt appear to have any of the brownd pigment in it skin, so im wondering wether it could be classed as an albino.

I will try and get a picture but it could be weeks or even months

Thanks

AJfr0ggy

Edited by AJfr0ggy
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2003 at 10:40pm
sounds interesting, there is a picture on Page 94 of the recently published Amphibians and Reptiles a natural history of the British Herpetofauna (soft back issue) showing an albino common toad, though it's black and white the eye looks like it is pink as would be normal for an albino animal, perhaps yours is melanistic?
AJfr0ggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJfr0ggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2003 at 11:39am

I was thinking it may be melatistic, but i think it is completly lacking they pigment which causes brown, which sort of means it would be an albino. Would melanistic have grey transloucent skin?

AJfr0ggy

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2003 at 2:54pm
Hi, albino would strictly mean lacking any pigment at all, the picture I referred to shows a white animal with pink eyes. I'm not sure of the term for lacking brown pigment, maybe someone else knows?
AJfr0ggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJfr0ggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2003 at 10:31pm

wow, i'd love to find an albino

if it were anerythristic, would that be on the ressesive or somminant allele?

thanks

Ajfr0ggy

AJfr0ggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJfr0ggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2003 at 6:21pm

Im gutted, the little thing has escaped!
I seached its entire 4' glass avquarium, i found all the toads other than that one. After looking at the viv i decided it may be possibe to jump from the water bowl up to a bit of glass which it could have stuck to, but why the black one out of all 7?
at least it can survive as i found 4 wild ones around it
Im not sure when it escpaed as i last saw it yesterday
Out of all the days it had to be the day before the photo
I may have the chance of finding it in my garden, if not i'd have to wait until next year when all the babies have morphed, providing its a good year. THere is also a small chance that it may be hiding deep in the sibstrate but i cleared all the loose soil. 

I did however take some photos of some wild ones in my garden, i think these are from this year, wuite big allready!

AJfr0ggy

AJfr0ggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJfr0ggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2004 at 4:31pm

Last week I found this strange male, obviously with the same mutation as the last one:

It is now with a female, and i hope it successfully breeds in my nearby lake where i found it.

AJfr0ggy

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic