the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Monitoring the Common Lizard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monitoring the Common Lizard
    Posted: 02 Aug 2003 at 12:28pm

Dear All.

I have started to keep records of the common lizards and slow worms sighted in my garden. I have noticed that members are posting sightings of various reptiles. Other postings I have noticed members ask if any research has been done in particular areas (e.g. slow worms on/under tins).

I am a science teacher, teach biology to Alevel and having completed a BSc and and MSc in Biological Sciences I so have a fair understanding of ecology and scientific research. So I was wondering if there is any useful research I could do, definitely over the next 4 weeks possibly over a longer period.

Immediate questions perhaps members may be able to help me with:

a) What is the basic useful information for a survey? (Currently I record, date, time, weather, location and am trying to map the locations of individuals over time). The population lives on a piece of overgrown land in my garaden (anout 2mx3m) this backs onto a much larger area of very overgrown grassland.

b) Currently I rarely disturb the lizards, I have handled one injured (caught by my cat  and a couple of "slow" juveniles), but record sightings backed up by digital photos when I can. What is a good way of estimating population size? Is it ok to catch and handle them? - is it necessary?

c) Any ideas of mini projects? (I have access to a variety of data loggers, digital light meters, temperature sensors etc).

Thanks in anticipation. PS I tried to add a picture of three of the lizard population but can't cut and paste, any advice on how to post images in the forum!

Andy Grevatt, Brighton, East Sussex UK
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2003 at 12:36pm

Hi Andy, I'll leave the answers about surveys to those with more experience, but to post up a picture click on the tree icon  in the Post Reply box and add the URL address of the picture to the text prompt box that pops up and click OK. The pictures need to be mounted on a host website to have a URL. The picture should appear before you submit the posting to the forum, if it doesn't it wont appear in the posting.

If you don't have a website to host the pictures from, email me the pictures and i'll mount them on the RAUK site and post them in the appropriate thread.

Edited by administrator
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2003 at 12:08pm

Thanks for the tip Gemma - I think I've done it.

This is actually a pic of a very lucky moment this morning. I usually have my camera in the garden with me, and heard a struggle in the border, to my surprise this common lizard had just caught a spider and I managed to get a pic of it!!!! Hope you like. 

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2003 at 8:57pm

That's a great shot, haven't seen one before where a Common Lizard has just caught some prey, this is one I snapped today at a site in Kent we found earlier this year. I've just found out it is earmarked for development, which will be a real shame if it goes ahead as there is an extensive population of Common Lizards and I suspect some of my favourite snakes as well, though far too hot to see any today. I'll be putting something up about the site when I know more about the planning proposal and how much objection there is to it.

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2003 at 10:46am
Great pics Andy and Gemma .

Alan
calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2003 at 1:14am
If you are recording animals in Kent, I hope all records will be passed on the the relevant local recorder
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2003 at 12:22pm
I live in Brighton, East Sussex. I had no idea there was a local recording officer or how to contact them. Any suggestions?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2003 at 12:30pm

Andy,

Sussex NO RECORDER previous details removed

(sorry misread Brighton as Bristol originally)

Froglife have this info page on recording that might be useful, there is a link giving a list of regional recorders

http://www.froglife.fsnet.co.uk/FAS/5.htm

Also check out the links page on RAUK for other groups who require records.

Lee, will do

Edited by administrator
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic