the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Slow Worm
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So slow worms climb hedges - Iom amazed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 10:09am
jonathon- large vertical panes of glass beside 5' garden hedging are rather uncommon on heathland though wouldnt you say?

its still a very interesting post from a behaviour point of view.

regards, ben
Shawit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 11:02pm

Today was the first time I've been at home in the morning since last Sunday's carnage. The six foot stretch of hedge the slow worm was on is the only spot in direct sunlight at 10.15 now that the sun is getting lower in the sky.

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 4:23am
Well if nothing else it's a new party trick to add to the repertoire I guess. I use to think being able to catch lizards off the top of refugia was impressive but to spot the right bit of a hedge and pull a slow worm out would surprise a few people. 

Don't feel bad about it Shawit, it would never have occurred to me that a slow worm would be up in a garden hedge. Sad as it is I'm sure your experience has enlightened many of us. I'll certainly not be taking the hedge trimmer to the privet from now on when it's the only part of the garden in sun. It is horrible when these things happen but I guess we all learn from these experiences.

Edited by GemmaJF
smallstuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smallstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 10:33pm
It seems we need to start looking for slow worms in higher places. Today my attention was drawn to our cat on the old 'shed' roof as a tile was displaced and slid to the ground. She seemed to have been interested in something up there. About 5 minutes later I returned and she was on the ground playing with a still moving half of a slow worm, right next to the tile. Too much of a coincidence that she'd found it at ground level.
smallstuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smallstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 10:34pm
...any other suggestions?!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic