the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Devil (duckweed)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Devil (duckweed)
    Posted: 27 May 2010 at 5:46pm
other than trying to keep on top of it by scooping with a net as best you can regularily, what eco-safe methods do people have for dramatically reducing, or better still eradicating, DUCKWEED?
in my amphib pool ive got plenty of other native plants for competition so it hasnt taken complete hold but its a constant threat to the eco-system (light blocking) and to my enjoyment of the pond too. its so difficult with a net to ONLY remove duckweed. ive heard of someone using suction for removal? what with? anyone tried it?
ive had years of laborious scooping and im fed up with it. garden centres havent helped much.
can you eat the stuff? i know a larger species is grown as salad.
all (if any) non-toxic suggestions welcome!
ben
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 10:53pm
Draining the pond and starting again may be the only way to
get rid of it. Dig a new pond fill in the old pond and
leave fallow for several years - make sure that the pond
plants placed into the new pond has no duckweed or allow
for natural regeneration or colonisation by wild plants.

regular harvesting and composting of the duck weed is great
for the garden or veg patch

J
Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 11:33pm
I got duckweed in my pond after 3 years, brought in on the back of frogs from a neighbour's pond! I saw it on their backs and figured it out. I would say it is well nigh impossible to get rid of if you have other weeds as it gets in amongst them.
I brush mine out by running a nylon hearth brush across the surface and shaking the weed onto the pond edge. The pond only stays clear a day or so but doing it daily only takes 5 mins or so (small pond). I can't do it at the moment as my taddies are all in amongst it.
Once cleared I can watch the newts in the water which the duckweed totally obscures of course.
Suz
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 1:08pm
Thanks Caleb for that info. I would say I don't have any of the nutrient inputs you describe except probably mud at the bottom of the pond. I was also careful not to add water from the hosepipe as I knew that added nutrients. However I do now occasionally top the pond up with the hose as I figure I got the duckweed anyway! I thought mud at the the bottom of the pond was good for the pondlife but maybe I ought to remove some. 
Suz
lalchitri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalchitri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 2:43pm
This year my pond is also fully covered with a thick blanket of duckweed.
Like suzi I am also reluctant to net it out, due to the large number of tadpoles amongst the weed.
Since the tadpoles seem to be faring well I am leaning towards leaving it at the time being.
Though they seem to be developing slower due to the lack of sunlight, I suppose it is a good source of food.

Reformed Teetotaller
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 2:51pm
thanks folks!
some great info and thanks for the brush tip suze- i hadnt considered that approach. will see if that works better than my hand net.
your pond sounds similar to mine in some ways. it too has had none of the nutrient-giving sources listed by caleb in his excellent background info. so i dont think my pools "running rich".
i prefer to interfere with it as little as possible for the animals sake.
however, i HAVE considered aspects of herpetologic's drastic (but probably necessary) option. again though, im very reluctant to disrupt amphibian breeding cycles. i dont really have the space either.
nice compost tip though cheers.
it sounds like im stuck with duckweed for now. hopefully they will come up with a safe binding agent soon. like the one currently used for blanket weed!

TOGETHER, LET US PRAY..........

thanks, ben

PS suz- Froglifes GCN Conservation handbook suggests deep mud is good for amphibians.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic