the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another toad found in Hackney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2003 at 1:22pm
Matt Harris wrote:

<<None of the species found are likely to form viable long-term populations in the area.>>

But then again, neither are RETs or American Bullfrogs. An extreme analogy I know, but looking at it objectively I feel that the overall tone of some of the postings is that these aliens are ôinterestingö and to be ôenjoyedö, rather than of concern. On the one hand itÆs true that these guys arenÆt going to go rampaging around the streets of Hackney, destroying all herps in their path (are there any in Hackney?!), but on the other hand I wouldnÆt want a casual observer of this forum to get the impression that we are happy to tolerate such releases.

Matt I have made enquiries today and contacted Jo with the advice I have received, suggesting the animals should be collected and a leaflet survey done of the surrounding area to determine the extent of the populations if any and am also prepared to organise the re-homing of any collected specimens.

It is entirely Jo's decision as to whether or not this is acceptable.
Danial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2003 at 5:43pm
Hello Jo

I was very interested to see your message, about exotic amphibians in Hackney. I live in Clapton, and am hoping to do a voluntary placement with the London, Essex & Herts Amphibian & Reptile Trust from September. I'd be interested in helping you with a local leaflet survey etc. Do you know if any people in your area keep exotic amphibians?. Maybe the previous owners of your home did.
Here is my email address:
danial.winchester@totalise.co.uk

Please get in touch if you need any help and advice.
Thanks
Danial Winchester

jwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2003 at 9:01pm

Thanks to Gemma, the Bufo viridis and the two Bombina orientalis were collected and moved to a warmer and more self-contained environment on Thursday 24th. We got a couple of photos just before they were carted off:

That isn't the end of the story though. Precisely 2 days later, yet another Bombina orientalis has found our pond. Again a male, but this one with more green on its upper surface:

For more photos see http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~jwo/frog

Gemma - I will be in touch again! Daniel, I will also be in touch with you about a local leaflet/survey. Thanks to you both for your offers of help.

Jo, Hackney.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic