the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A huge amount of frogspawn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Vaughan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A huge amount of frogspawn
    Posted: 15 Mar 2009 at 5:13pm

At a local pond today I saw more frogspawn than I've ever seen - I'd estimate 10 to 20 square meters of the pond surface was covered in continuous sheets of it.  It was visible from 50 meters away.  A picture of the largest area (there were several more) attached. 

I also saw two toadspawn strings and many toads gathered in and around the frogspawn - including some with frogs attached (I'd have thought the frogs might have had enough...). 

Peter Vaughan
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 1:59pm

wow!

peter, that really is amazing.

tim

Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 2:02pm

Similar things happening at a few sites local to me as far as frogs grabbing hold of toads is concerned, maybe because the two species breeding times are overlapping more these days?

That`s a healthy amount of spawn Peter.  Have you reported it to HCT?

Edited by Peter
BLF Dragonscapes Habitats officer
Amphibian and Reptile Conservation
e: peter.hill@arc-trust.org
Peter Vaughan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Vaughan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 2:53pm

Hello Peter

I am in the process of putting all my records over the past few years onto MapMate for submission to the county reptile and amphibian recorder, who will forward them the county (Hampshire) Biodiversity Information Centre (HBIC).  I am sure that HBIC in turn shares its records with national networks - but whether those include HCT I do not know for certain, I would hope so.

I agree that it is important to record and report, as it may not be safe to assume that even a "well known" site is necessarily on decision-makers' radar.

Returning specifically to frogspawn, in addition to the record above, there is a single clump in the very small pond in my back garden - the first since that was first put in place ten years ago! 

Peter

Edited by Peter Vaughan
Peter Vaughan
Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 3:16pm

Originally posted by Peter Vaughan Peter Vaughan wrote:

I agree that it is important to record and report, as it may not be safe to assume that even a "well known" site is necessarily on decision-makers' radar. 

Absolutely.

Originally posted by Peter Vaughan Peter Vaughan wrote:

Returning specifically to frogspawn, in addition to the record above, there is a single clump in the very small pond in my back garden - the first since that was first put in place ten years ago!

That WAS a long wait.   Congratulations on their delayed arrival.

Edited by Peter
BLF Dragonscapes Habitats officer
Amphibian and Reptile Conservation
e: peter.hill@arc-trust.org
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 4:30am
Thats a key Common Frog site for the county!

Using the spawn mat area we can estimate the number of
females and hence estimate the population size.....

J
Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 5:33am
Yay!
lalchitri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalchitri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2009 at 6:13am
maxwell savage states in his book, that he once saw an estimated 5000 clumps in one pond.
Reformed Teetotaller
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2009 at 6:41am
Big pond!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic