the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Habitat Loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grass snake habitat destroyed....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 4:57pm

Speaking from the 'new recruits' perspective.......

the recently detroyed habitat is where i spotted my first grass snake, so to see the destruction of this site made me pretty angry to say the least!  (should hav heard me on the phone when i was listening to the message pete had left........*******! *******! have done it again!)

I'm really greatful for Pete being in my face as he call's it and really hope that with his and other like minded people's help we can increase reptile awareness.  Hopefully the "mini conference" will help also.

I hate being a council bod but if i can help in stopping ignorance from destroying important reptile habitat then its worth it. Must admit i'm not very good at being diplomatic though when i'm pissed off!

cheers Pete for opening my eyes this is something i should have been doing anyhow!

Chaela

Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 5:26pm
Good to see you here Chaela. 

I for one am glad that you are a "council bod".  You are in a good position to spread the awareness that you speak of, which desperately needs doing.  The requirements of reptiles and amphibians are consistently overlooked as you now know.

It would be no small thing if we could lessen the amount of "clean ups" at sites by well intentioned volunteer groups wishing for things to do which can be so devastating for herps and other lesser known wildlife.  Such acts that are done in the name of "conservation" that tidy up these nasty piles of habitat to "improve" things for wildlife!
BLF Dragonscapes Habitats officer
Amphibian and Reptile Conservation
e: peter.hill@arc-trust.org
Chaela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 5:41pm
Something i intend to do with your help
Chaela

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 11:23am

Hi Peter & Chaela

I am looking forward to the mini conference which is being organised - I think this would be through John Baker the Widespread species officer which was initited by our little chat/emails recently.

I think that I am planning on taking a workshop for this conference and we all hope that it will be great success.

Another area I would like to plan further events and activties is the South West - would you like to be involved Suzi?

regards

Jon

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 12:08pm
Jon there is no ARG in this area (Devon) as apparently there is not the interest (according to the Biodiversity Office in Exeter). I am always jealous of you guys being in the places with the most species. I am happy to help where I can but I am no expert, just interested.
Suz
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 2:04pm

David,

I was told there was nothing doing in Devon apart from a bit of surveying for GCNs. I was invited to start a group! This was probably 2 years or so ago but I don't think things have changed.

Just shows how a bit of publicity helps. I never heard about Jim Foster's adder lectures.  I'm sure there is the interest in the county but probably no one wants to take on the task of organising a group! I am fairly involved in archaeology/local history as well as working so I just couldn't do it.

I am only looking at Devon, East Devon in particular, and so don't know much about the rest of the south-west.

What interests me greatly is the adders on the coastal area east of Sidmouth through to just east of Branscombe Mouth. This is a wonderful habitat of undercliff historically well-addered and still so. Plenty of attention is given to heathland for adders but this is an unmanaged area now National Trust. The supposed last smooth snake in Devon was killed here, as you know David as you helped me with the reference. Could they still hold out here? How lovely to have the clout to do proper surveying here. Most of the area is inaccessible to humans away from the tracks so what might be there?

Suz
Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by herpetologic2 herpetologic2 wrote:

Hi Peter & Chaela

I am looking forward to the mini conference which is being organised - I think this would be through John Baker the Widespread species officer which was initited by our little chat/emails recently.

I think that I am planning on taking a workshop for this conference and we all hope that it will be great success.

Hi Jon,

Looking forward to meeting you.

All the best,

Peter

BLF Dragonscapes Habitats officer
Amphibian and Reptile Conservation
e: peter.hill@arc-trust.org
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 3:35pm
hi peter sad pics the usual tidy up scanario but it will be good for the dog walkers keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 4:22pm

I would like to tackle that situation in Devon and I am going to get in contact with Mark Nicholson over some records I need to send in which I have collected from the county.

A mini conference in the South West would be a good idea and we may be looking at other options in boosting ARG activity in the region so watch this space

Jon

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
Chaela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 4:14pm

Hi Jon

So far we have had a really good response from surrounding authorities to attend the mini conference, so hopefully it will be a success.

I look forward to speaking to you again soon

Many thanks

Chaela

Chaela

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic