the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Smooth Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

French smoothies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grenouillaire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: French smoothies
    Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 5:20am

Hello Hello to one and all.  IÆm new to this site and apart from an enduring childhood curiosity, happily admit I know very little about snakes, lizards etc û and therefore will need some guidance !  Below are a couple of pictures taken recently of what I now know (this site) to be a smooth snake.  I have lots of these where I live in France along with grass snakes,  slow worms and apparently adders (though IÆve yet to see one.  There are also wall lizards and green lizards.  All in all quite a collection.

I understand that in France the smoothies are generally rarer then either grass snakes or adders and it strikes me this could, to some extent be down to a widespread ignorance.  I showed my picture to a local friend, who immediately (wrongly) identified it as une vipere rouge and said I should  kill it for the sake of my two young daughters.  I have obviously passed on my newly gained ôknowledgeö  but if anyone has a photo of said viper IÆd love to see it !!!

One other question, I read a post about a bad reaction to a smooth snake bite, should I try and handle these smooth snakes and if so how û would wearing gloves make any difference û to me or the snake ? 

Any help or advice greatly appreciated

AB
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 8:35am
HI Andy" NICE TO SEE A FRENCH SMOOTHIE.what part of france did you find them regards Keith       

Edited by AGILIS
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
grenouillaire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grenouillaire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 12:37pm

Hi Keith

Geographically û weÆre right in the Centre.  About 200kms due south of Paris near a place called La Chatre.

On a micro scale û in my workshop !  ThereÆs two or more in there everyday warming themselves under the roof slates.  They make great photographic models û just not sure how close to get !  I did see a 3ft + grass snake in there last year right along side one of the smoothies.

Regards

AB
grenouillaire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grenouillaire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2008 at 5:43am

Hi Caleb

Yeah weÆve got loads of those too !  Would the smoothies eat them ? 

The answer to your question is yes û I feel privileged to say that I can see them whenever I want (almost) û by that I mean if itÆs a sunny day I know theyÆll be there by about 2pm and gone by about 6pm almost everyday.

Any plans to come by this way again anytime soon û IÆd be happy to share them with you and be able to pick your brains on whatÆs good for them and whatÆs not.

As an aside we also have the bigger green lizards with the blue throat û but only see them rarely any ideas on what I can do to encourage them as well ?

Regards

AB
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 12:45pm
Hi Andrew,

To reply to your question....

Smooth snakes have a bit of a reputation for chewing on your hand, but in reality, if handled gently, and allowed to move freely around your fingers, they rarely bite. (They may get a bit grumpy after a few minutes though).

I find it best to support the snake using one hand only, as if they do bite, they sometime do a full-on strike with jaws very wide open. This doesn't hurt, but it can be a shock.

If you are holding the snake (gripping) in two hands and you jump...it won't do the snake any good! - clearly ensure the snake is well supported, but this is easy with one hand.

I've not personally had any reaction to a bite....but I am very rarely bitten.

To be honest, I wouldn't handle the snakes unless necessary, as it can only stress the animal.

As for Wall lizards...yep the Smoothie will definitely predate them given even half a chance.

Steve
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic