the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Great Crested Newt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crestie vs Smoothy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crestie vs Smoothy
    Posted: 24 Apr 2008 at 10:27am
On a recent newt survey up here in North Wales ,we witnessed what we at first thought was a male cresty lying dead in the pond,upon watching for a moment or two we saw that it was taking a break from eating a pretty large male smooth newt,has anyone else seen anything like this?
Huddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2008 at 12:27pm

Interesting observation there Dave ! I was once surveying a quarry pond in cumbria in the early 90,s and I came across a male gcn eating a fully grown but very decomposed male palmate newt ,the pond in question had a great many gcn and much smaller numbers of palmate .

What suprised me most about this observation was the fact that I had thought that newts would only take live prey  .

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2008 at 4:08pm
I've not seen it in person Dave, but predation of smaller newts by GCN is well documented. Nice to have seen it though! 
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Huddy Huddy wrote:

Interesting observation there Dave ! I was once surveying a quarry pond in cumbria in the early 90,s and I came across a male gcn eating a fully grown but very decomposed male palmate newt ,the pond in question had a great many gcn and much smaller numbers of palmate .

What suprised me most about this observation was the fact that I had thought that newts would only take live prey  .

Hi Huddy,

Newts will feed on dead prey, i often feed thawed gamma treated blood worm to the vulgaris in my pond to give them an extra boost (not that they seem to need it). They go crazy for it. As a kid i used to catch newts on a piece of string with sliced beef heart, but admittedly the beef heart and blood worm are all items that are relatively 'fresh' and certainly not decomposed, so an interesting observation.

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 3:47pm
ive seen a male GCN methodically sniff out (where many helvs + vulgs failed to notice) and eat, a dead earthworm buried at the pond floor.
compared to vulgaris and helveticus, cristatus is a floor-dweller. it doesnt linger in the upper reaches like them and when it surfaces it dives back down immediately. slightly more leisurely at night.
since thats primarily where it IS and so must feed, i wouldnt mind betting it has a better sense of smell than the other species. perhaps explaining the above.

also seen a gravid fem helv (poss vulg- hard to id from plan view at distance) take a couple of mouthfuls of very decomposed adult rana.
both observations this year
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic