the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Sand Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ANGLING FOR LIZARDS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ANGLING FOR LIZARDS
    Posted: 07 Apr 2007 at 5:21am
In Western Australia some years back a local man showed me how to catch small water dragons & copper tail skinks that were almost to speedy to pounce on. he used to use a length of bambo with a bit of nylon fishing line attatched to it and would tie a locust on it and drag it past the basking lizard that would chase after it grab it and not let go and lure it over fine muslin net laying on the ground it worked every time without any harm done to the lizard....And I must point out there was no hooks involved  before any one freaks out ,as in fishing .. this I have not tried here but it is less stressfull to the animal then being pounced on and squashed almost flat into the undergrowth when trying to capture one.  has any one else heard or used this method   KEITH

Edited by AGILIS
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2007 at 2:12pm

keith,

good one. when we were kids we used to fish for GC newts with a piece of worm, tied to a length of cotton and with a matchstick as a float. Same principle.... No hooks, but when the Great crested Newt "catches" the worm they do not let go even when they reach the hand. I hasten to add that we were always told to cool our hands in the pond first!!!

R

RobV
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic