the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Found a lizard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AceB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Found a lizard
    Posted: 07 Feb 2007 at 1:42pm
Hi,

While out in the garden today I found a common lizard sitting on the grass, it didn't really move much and in fact was still there late in the afternoon as the temperature was falling and frost forming on it so I don't know if I've done the right thing but I've brought it inside as I reckon the snow forecast tomorrow will probably kill it if the dogs or chooks don't. Should it be hibernating at this time of year?

At the moment I've got it in an old fish tank with some natural bark chips and a few wooden looking ornaments. I've put some water in there and a few small snails, a slug that I found and a couple of small spiders but to be honest I'm completely clueless as to what I should be doing. Do I release it in some undergrowth now, put the tank somewhere cold like the shed or look after it until the weather warms up a bit?

Paul

Link to piccy here

Edited by AceB
mikebrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2007 at 2:50pm

Hi Paul,

Its best to gently cover the lizard with some dry material like fine bark chips or wood chippings about an inch thick and place the tank in a cool but frost-free place like a shed. It won't feed, but will sleep, just 'ticking over' until early Spring (early March). Watch for it waking up then, when it could be released in a suitable place on a nice sunny and reasonably warm day.

It should have been hibernating at present, but could have been disturbed, or tempted out by the sun. Where in the country do you live?

Cheers,

Mike 

Mike Brown
Merseyside ARG
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2007 at 3:30pm

I would go with that - something I would stress is to have the water available - as young lizards will dehydrate so some moisture would help.

Keep an eye on the little fella until later in the year when warmer weather comes - March time

or you could find a suitable brash pile or something to create the same conditions etc

JC 

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
AceB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AceB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2007 at 4:01pm
Thanks for the replies, I'll move him out into the shed then and we've plenty of fine chips so can cover him up. Mike, we are down in Sussex, just outside of Eastbourne and on the Downs. Not sure if the garden is ideal territory for a lizard, we do have a pond with semi tree cover so lots of damp ground under it and lots of bugs and snails etc but we also have free ranging hens and a couple of cats who have been known to bring in the odd bit of wildlife so I was really surprised to see him out and still alive.

Although I'll cover him and hope he sleeps for a month or so do I keep a dish of water in there as well? The bark chip is quite damp, not sure if this is good or not but I suppose if he was in the garden it would be too. When would it be OK to release him, I guess it's a weather/temperature/seasonal thing, any pointers to when I should thinking about doing it? I'm worried he's not going to sleep and starve if I leave him in the tank too long.
mikebrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2007 at 6:42pm

I would certainly leave him in the tank in the shed until the weather warms up outside - even down there I would think not much likelihood of good enough weather for lizards to be active for long until early March. He may well become active in the tank when it is warm enough. Then he should start to feed and spiders and small insects are their favourite food, not slugs or snails. Best to keep a small shallow saucer of water in the tank, but the substrate should not be too moist.

I would release him away from the garden, if you've got hens and cats. A dry, sunny slope with scattered shrubs would be ideal. I'm sure you've got local populations of Common Lizards in that area.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike Brown
Merseyside ARG
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic