the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snake Hooks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2007 at 4:27am
I made my very first snake hook back in the 70's after watching the blue peter when john noakes was looking for black mambas in Africa.
After the trip John was in the studio and told how he made his hook that he used on the trip.

First take two , three , or even four cardboard tubes from the middle of some kitchen paper towels. The more tubes you use the longer the John Noakes snake hook. Stick these together with Sticky back Plastic.
Next take a Twisty Pipe cleaner and attach this to the end of your tubes with some , sticky back plastic.

John successfully used this hook throughout his herping trip and coaxed mamy a mamba from the trees.

If you're going to make this hook please make sure yopu have a responsible adult to take you through how to use it
O-> O+>
Deano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2007 at 2:04pm

Gemma

Not the head or the neck. In the old days it was always hold a snake by the head'n'neck, now we know this can cause fractured vertebrae. No the fork was just for gentle persuasion and when I say a twig, I mean a twig. I do get concerned about people using hooks to pin snakes (of any kind). I now use a home made hook based on TPs model and just for lifting snakes from the middle. I got this advice from an American guy (first name Tom, can't remember his second name) who dealt with snakes in the U.S. I think they used the term 'pest control'. He also said if you do handle venomous snakes, it's not a matter of if you get bitten just when....

Deano
Better to be lucky than good looking.
Uncle Herp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Herp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2007 at 3:53am
I wish to thank everybody here who have answered my question. I spoke to a guy at one of the hardware stores and he recommended an epoxy called Epoxyclay - Steel (the package claims that it has steel in them). It is practically like the modelling clay with 2 layers. Cut and mix them together just like those modelling clays until the 2 layers mix together nicely and apply. I fill the end of the shaft (of the golf club) with the epoxy and practically stuff the end of the hook into the shaft. It dries in 3-5 minutes and cures completely in 24 hours. When cured it looks and feels like a rock !!! I believe I have found the solution to my snake hook jointing problem. 
Uncle Herp
Malaysia Herpetology Club
Malaysia Fauna. com
uncleherp@malaysiafauna.com
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2007 at 4:20am
Excellent stuff Uncle Herp, I'm glad you found a solution.  
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2007 at 11:20am
hi I am suprised any one uses snake hooks  as we are not exactly dealing with Tiger snakes King browns or Tiapans that pump about a pint of venom into you unless  less some one has let some go that I dont know about I always found a willow twitch alright. I must point out not for pleasure .   keith 
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2007 at 2:05pm

I think Uncle Herp might be dealing with things a little more risky than adder Keith.

I use hooks for two reasons. One hook for tin lifting, saves my back and also saves me putting my hand in vegetation I have heard of at least one consultant who got bit whilst tin lifting and also a very fine hook for controlling adders heads. Though mostly it is OK to just tail adult adder, it is nice to be able to support their bodies if you need to lift them for some reason and of course with sub-adults, there is the risk of them turning back even when tailed so the hook adds a margin of safety.

Deano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2007 at 5:20am

Someone has just brought me 2 hooks back from the States. 1 which is miles too big for over here. And another one which collapses down to the size of a biro! I think it is supposed to be a gimmick, but it would seem about the right size for English snakes and it folds down and can be kept in your top pocket.  But a twig will do.

Deano
Better to be lucky than good looking.
Uncle Herp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Herp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2007 at 11:18pm
Hi guys.... I use the snake hook mainly for herping. It is quite dangerous to poke one's hand into nook and crannies in the Malaysian jungle. As so, we use snake hooks. Even rat snakes can be quite aggressive here especially the wild ones. Although I don't keep hot herps, there are some friends that I know do. I make these hooks for them. 

As for me, the thrill of making the hooks myself is part of the fun. I even put labels on my hook that reads "UNCLE HERP SNAKE HOOK" and proud of my hand-made hooks. Each one is unique !!
Uncle Herp
Malaysia Herpetology Club
Malaysia Fauna. com
uncleherp@malaysiafauna.com
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2007 at 4:20am
hi uncle Herp dont blame you using them when I lived in Australia like you the safest way was with about  the longest ones you could get as I have been bitten a few times by lesser venomous ones and had a near miss by a tiger snake.   keith 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic