the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A broad appeal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A broad appeal
    Posted: 20 Jun 2006 at 9:25am

Hi all

I have to say that the forum is really growing from strength to strength - it is amazing how many people are using this site and it is also amazing that there are many people further afield than the UK - so the question to ask is......is the forum ready to embrace these other people and develop into a wider forum......maybe a European Wide Forum what do people think?

Gem please forgive me for asking this but I am wondering what the break down is for forum members and where they are based in the world

Regards

Jon

Jeroen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeroen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2006 at 12:50pm

Dear Jon et al.,

I would like to mention that I will launch a forum within EUROHERP concerning European herpetology (what else?). It's in fact as good as ready but I want to test it first. Maybe some volunteers might be usefull ...

g's,

J.

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2006 at 2:46pm

Hi Jeroen

I would be willing to test this out - I am already registered on Euroherp - which is again an excellent website resource -

Jon

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2006 at 4:04pm

I like this forum as it is mainly about UK creatures. Whilst I know a lot of you are interested in foreign stuff as well I have little or no interest in this. Would the European posts overwhelm the UK ones - have they more reps and amps? So long as there was a clear way of recognising posts that were not about UK reptiles and amphibians I wouldn't object but I don't fancy sifting my way through things that didn't interest me.

I know a lot of you work in the herpetology area and this forum benefits from the input of your experience and observations and probably many of you are interested in the European range as well.  I notice quite a few pet queries, would we get more if the pets were of European  origin?  

This is an excellent forum and I have learnt so much - keep it up!

Suz
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2006 at 5:43pm

Well Suzi I have to agree, it was called Reptiles and Amphibians of the UK for a reason afterall, as it was and is my own main area of interest.

I think Jon that Jeroen has answered your call there, a European forum hosted from EUROHERP would seem much more appropriate and I wish it every success.

We lacked a forum for UK based (wild) herp issues which is why I created the site, I don't see that we need to embrace anyone as all have always been welcome on RAUK since the beginning and there is already a forum for European herps included.

It might be idea to discuss such suggestions with me directly Jon in future before posting such ideas to the forums, as I could have told you that currently my work load would rule out any major change to the forum in any case.

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2006 at 2:00am

Hi Gemma

I knew that was the case - though I am pleased that Jeroen is putting up a forum on the Euroherp website - I didnt mean to place undue pressure on you - so sorry about that

I thought it was good to get the discussion going and of course we can look forward to the RAEURO Forum aswell

Jon

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2006 at 4:29pm
Yup, UK is fine . The European herp section is rarely used and sufficiant anyway

O-> O+>
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic