the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Photography
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Macro lenses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowhammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2006 at 7:44am

Hi guys,

got this this morning with a rubbish little FinePix 1400 granny cam. one handed too! whaddya mean it shows?! I think that if you take your time you can get a good shot with almost anything - field craft will always be more important than equipment.

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2006 at 11:54am

And incidentally, witout sexing this is definitely an adult female - no question!

Ps, the crops a good idea brett, but dont know if I like th colouring or not!

R

RobV
yellowhammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowhammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2006 at 3:28am

That really is an improvement Brett, nice one. what program did you use? I'm not really a computer person so all advice much appreciated! Robert - why do you say the grassie is definitely female? Going by relative tail length/sub-caudal scale counts I thought it was male. I'm not being funny, just genuinely interested

Ian

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2006 at 4:47am

Ian,

you must have miscounted mate, don't worry, easily done with a live animal. Best go back and re check again.

Cheers

Rob

RobV
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2006 at 4:35pm
Luuuverly Puffin pic Brett!

Where abouts are you Brett? I'm in Ash Vale Surrey/Hants

All the best,
Al
O-> O+>
Paul Williams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2006 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by B Lewis B Lewis wrote:

I use the Sigma 105mm Macro to and am very pleased with it. I have posted a few shots on here showing some close ups of adders including a very close up shot of an eye.. I have also used it from a little distance but still achieve some good results. This is one I took yesterday (13th May).. I highly reccommend the 105mm from sigma, affordable, 2.8 and great functionality.

Brett.

Indeed very good lens indeed I hated the slow AF though so sold mine and got a canon 100mm macro couldnt be happier with it

Paul Williams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2006 at 3:41pm

Originally posted by Alan Hyde Alan Hyde wrote:

Wonderful shots Brett! Thanks for sharing mate

I've not found a kingfisher that I can get close enough to yet with my sigma 50-500 and bird hide. I know of a pair at Frensham but brambles and the like prevent access to the perching area.

Had a very quiet time in Turkey with regards to photography , I just sort of lost interest for a week and spent mopst of my time in the pool with the kids. However, each late afternoon I would climb high into the silent pine clad mountain and sit and watch a pair of eagles soaring around. Their cries in the mountain silence will stay with me for a long time.

Keep them coming Brett,
All the best,
Alan

How do you find the 50-500 nearly bought one but went for the 100-400 IS L instead and looking next to get a 500f4ISL

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2006 at 4:46pm
Hi Paul,
I'm really pleased with the 50-500. Good sharp images throughout the range , but lacking in contrast. This isn't a problem though and can easily be rectified in photoshop.

I was considering the Canon 100-400 too, however the price made it just out of my reach. I have a couple of friends that have it and both say it can be a nightmare for sucking in dust with the push pull action, So please keep an eye out for that Paul.
All the best,
Alan
O-> O+>
DrDom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrDom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2006 at 9:03am

Macro lenses for 350D - to echo what others have said you won't go far wrong with a Canon, Tamron or Sigma 100/90/105

There's a review at:

http://www.orchideen-kartierung.de/Macro100E.html

I've had an old Tamron 90 and a new DG autofocus one, both of which were/are excellent. I chose this over the Canon because it was cheaper and lighter and optically similar. I chose it over the sigma because it has a clutch mechanism to switch from auto to manual focus and this can used with your eye at the camera. With macro lenses you will generally find manual focus most useful. The Canon has internal focussing (IF) which is useful when resting the lens on something (like a beanbag) as it doesn't move. Although more expensive, the Canon may hold its value better than the tamron/sigma. If possible try lenses on your camera, much is down to personal preference.

Dominic Tantram - Guildford
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group (SARG)
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2006 at 12:20pm
I'm happy with my Sigma 150mm 2.8 macro, it does afford that extra distance but it is quite heavy.   Also that has been mentioned previously, the AF is slow on the Sigma macros so I stick to manual.

I've been waiting for 3 months for a Canon 24-105 f4 L - apparently there's supplier problems.   I've been out today taking piccies or orchids and insects so hopefully, I'll have a half decent piccie to post.

Mark

Edited by arvensis
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic