the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Toad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weove got tuddies!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weove got tuddies!
    Posted: 25 Mar 2006 at 6:25pm

Hi all, sorry still a bit excited to find these in the garden pond tonight. I went out with the hope that we would finally have some frogs and instead found 3 adult male toads  I thought I was going completely nuts when I heard them calling from the pond whilst in the house, I thought no, can't be....

I didn't think our pond was really big enough for toads which have always been my favourite of all our native amphibians, but with any luck we'll get some females soon and spawn this year.

Flash turns night into day for piccy below.

Donny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2006 at 12:30am

I built a very small pond in my parents garden, and the first spring saw a solitary male toad who hung around for a bit before moving on.  They must be more adventurous in looking for new places to spawn than we give them credit for.

Edited by Donny
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2006 at 4:20am

Hi Donny, it has raised lots of questions for us. Could they just be passing through and using the pond as a staging post? Could they be the result of tadpoles we introduced when we first built the pond in the spring of 2004, surely they wouldn't have matured so quickly?

We'll be watching the pond with a lot of interest over the next few days.  

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2006 at 6:17am
Hi Gemma

Congratulations! Wish we had daots .

Still no spawn in my pond

Will give you a call or PM later
O-> O+>
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2006 at 4:46pm
Three days on and we now have 4 male toads in our pond. We've seen a couple of them out in open areas of the wildlife garden, so they seem to be expecting some females to turn up soon, but none yet. Looks like the males are sticking around and not just passing through.. oh well fingers crossed that some females do arrive eventually and we get some tuddie spawn
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2006 at 3:57am
Here's hoping those girly daots turn up soon Gemma.
Keep us updated
Al
O-> O+>
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2006 at 4:31am
Hi Al, I'm hoping that it will warm up a bit tonight and we might get some more tuddies, been cold and windy again here in Essex, probably the worst spring for herps I can remember
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2006 at 7:39am
Agreed, it's a very strange spring. My frogs are still in amplexus with no sign of spawn .

Paul however, just brought me two more adders from the Ash burn site , thanks Paul

Hope the weather changes for you soon,
Al
O-> O+>
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2006 at 9:57am

I have had word from Ray that the Writtle College Toad population numbered over 1500 last Tuesday with over 1030 toads in one water body!

David Scott has reported that over 1000 toads were collected over three nights at his toad crossing in Little Leighs

We may have the locations of the two largest known toad populations in Essex - around 10,000 to 15,000 animals!

JC

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2006 at 10:17am

There is a huge population at Wick Meadow Jon, alas I'm still having trouble getting permission from EWT to survey any site they are involved with. I've no idea of the population size, but the entire balancing pond was alive with toad taddies a couple of seasons back.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic