the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > News > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changes to Amphibian Taxonomy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changes to Amphibian Taxonomy
    Posted: 23 Mar 2006 at 8:41am
I hope Jeroen doesn't mind my posting this here, but this came through on Herpnet

Matt

Dear all,

You might be interested to learn about a new paper by Frost et al.(2006) (apologies to those who have already been informed about it). I am sure you all know Darrel Frost, by his Amphibian Species of the World
database webpage)

http://research.amnh.org/herpetology/amphibia/index.php

The paper stirs up things quite heavily and some of these have consequences for European amphibians.
I have adopted all these changes in EUROHERP, as they appear to be rightful and an improvement. Among others, old and (much too) big genera like Rana, Bufo and Hyla have been split up. Let me run briefly through the most
important changes (you may check "EUROHERP Browse" for more details):

above the genus level:
    - change of authorship of the taxa Amphibia, Anura and Caudata (!note erronous double date for Anura in the paper!)
    - "priority" of Caudata over Urodela
    - priority of Alytidae over Discoglossidae (as already proposed by Dubois, 2004)
    - confirmation of Bombinatoridae

at genus level:
    - Rana catesbeiana => Lithobates catesbeiana
    - Rana (Pelophylax) spp. (= water or green frogs) => Pelophylax sp.incl. changed ending for Pelophylax epeiroticus, P. shqipericus, P. kl.esculentus and P. ridibundus
    - Bufo calamita => Epidalea calamita; Bufo viridis => Pseudepidalea viridis
    - confirmation of Triturus vulgaris, T. helveticus, T. boscai, T.montandoni, T. italicus => Lissotriton sp. and T. alpestris => Mesotriton alpestris
    - Triturus vittatus => Ommatotriton vittatus (not implemented but should be! same for Calotriton asper (and arnoldi))

You can find the original document here =>
    http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/dspac e/handle/2246/5781
   ... or through EUROHERP ...
    http://intramar.ugent.be/nemys/start .asp?group=16&c=41&doc=16109

With kindest regards,

Jeroen, EUROHERP admin
Local Authority Ecologist
Jeroen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeroen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2006 at 7:27am

Thanks, Matt.

Minor correction = should be Lithobates catesbeianus

Let's now wait and see how long it takes to learn to live with those new names ...

Edited by Jeroen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic