the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Method & Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any Statisticians out there?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Statisticians out there?
    Posted: 20 Feb 2006 at 3:53pm

Hi all, any statisticians on the forums?

I'm interested in a project that attempts to predict the likelihood of detecting adder around the Essex Coast.

I'm likely to be looking at habitat variables such as available habitat, aspect of seawalls, extent of intensive agriculture in the given area etc etc.

The idea is to collect base survey data then use this to predict the likelihood of adder occurring at a given site along the extent of the seawall, and then test the mathematics with actual surveys.

Trouble is though I have a fairly good grasp of a mathematics, stats was one area I was quite successful at avoiding during my degree.

Any suggestions of where I would start? A few book titles covering stats as applied to ecological problems would also be useful.

Ta

Gemma

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2006 at 5:55pm

Gemma

It might be worth talking to John Baker as he has been doing power analysis on the Make the Adder Count Data with the BTO - maybe a mini project looking at your study could be set up with HCT?

Jon

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2006 at 7:58am

Gemma,

I can probably help with this. Statistics is a good step, but I suspect this is leading towards a predictive model.

I've been toying with something similar in my spare time, trying to model movement/range of reptiles, with a hope of linking a model to observations and hence population estimates. (Long way from having a working version!)

Happy to discuss over email if you fancy.

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic