the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Toad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting toad record in Tywyn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting toad record in Tywyn
    Posted: 05 Dec 2005 at 2:40pm

I work for the Talyllyn Railway in Tywyn and have always been interested in all aspects of wildlife and keep captive bred geckos and lizards.
On 3/12/05 I got a call from the local narrow gauge steam railway to say a large number of toads had been found in one of their carriage pits, I told the caller to bring them to me so I could check them over. All together there were 61 toads - 5 fully grown adults, about 25 around 5-6 months old and around 30 at 2-3 months old.Six more have been 'delivered' today, from the same pit. Approximately half of them (30) were very emaciated as, obviously, there's nothing to eat in the carriage pit! It is not known how long they were in there, they were only discovered because some work needed to be carried out on one of the carriages. Odd numbers have been seen in this pit before, usually only around 2 or 3, never this many.
The toads were put into various containers with leaf mould and suitably sized crickets (which I keep to feed my own lizards). I am writing this on 5/12/05 and intend to release the healthier ones this evening in a nearby local forest which toads are known to inhabit. The others I will keep for a few more days to 'feed them up' a bit more until they look healthy enough to release.
Whilst increased numbers of toads have been seen in and around the town this year, this is the greatest number I know of that have been found in any one specific location.
It is a mystery as to why they were all in the pit (the pit is only connected to a sump which empties into the cutting so it seems unlikely they could have gotten through that way)and why in such vast numbers and of varying ages.
Whilst chatting to Chris Davis of the Sand Lizard Captive Breeding programme, it was suggested that the odd weather and temperature fluctuations are the main cause.It has been very damp here through September and October, temperatures dropped dramatically for about a week towards the end of November (into the minuses) and now it is mild and damp again.
I thought your members and visitors may be interested in this information. If anyone has any further questions please feel free to email me on maria@gecko.force9.co.uk

Maria Wagland

Many thanks to Maria for sending in the record and also for permission to post her comments on the forums.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic