the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Naturalised
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wall Lizards - Shoreham

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2007 at 10:55am

hi all, i'm new to this forum, although i did email chris a while ago about the shoreham pm colony. since then i have visited the site twice(quite a trek really from oldham) the last time being 2 weeks ago. i can confirm that the colony is thriving and quite extensive

Edited by snakey
snakey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2007 at 10:57am
sorry about the image size and page layout, i'm a bit new to this
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2007 at 11:32am
Hi Philip, and welcome to the forum !

Lovely clear photographs. I'm sure people on the forum will mention that it is illegal to release Wall lizards back into the wild once caught, so we'll assume you took those animals home with you.

I've just received information that suggests that the Shoreham colony has 'broken out' of the Shoreham area, and it looks as if they're travelling westwards along the railway line, reaching Lancing initially, and now Worthing !

Have you checked out the Wall lizard pages on the SARG website ? (www link on my signature).
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
snakey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2007 at 1:20pm

yes i'm well aware of the laws regarding re-release Steve, and the photographed individuals (caught by my much more nimble son) now reside with us in an outdoor vivarium. incidentally a female which i managed to noose on my first shoreham visit in july layed 8 fertile eggs all of which hatched and are doing fine. more photos will follow as i have just bought a new digital slr.

p.s. i didn't mean that my familly and i live in outdoor vivaria!!!

snakey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2007 at 8:05am

it appears that in spite of the relatively poor summer we have had, the shoreham podarcis colony has had no trouble in replenishing itself. my son and i observed this years offspring in early july and at the end of august. the neonates appear to inhabit much more vegetated areas than adults and we rarely observed them on the fort walls or any other elevated positions for that matter. most were seen scurrying in and out of the sea kale patches. these occur in about a 30m wide strip adjacent to the gardens running from the fort end of the beach. we observed lizards of all age groups for well over a kilometer westwards from the fort.judging from the relative abundance of lizards within even this relatively small area, the population must be well up in 4 figures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic