the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Photography
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Image post-processing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2005 at 1:36pm
Should have said... no doubt due to viewing a JPG through a web browser
rather than dedicated graphics software...
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2005 at 1:46pm

Here's a different approach....

Original on left was cropped, trying to take advantage of diagonal and horizontal edges. Snake was selected using maual selection tool and copied on top of original image as a layer. Background layer was blurred out to give focal contrast, while snake was sharpened slightly. Brightness and contrast of the two levels fettled until light contrast was optimum. Eye and neck lightened slightly using manual dodge tool. Eye colour enhanced slightly by increasing saturation. Dunno if its any good, but thats what I did. With my colour sight I count myself lucky not to get a blue snake . Some of the bottom edges need attention, but was demonstrating what can be done, rather than achieving a polished result.

I'm very interested to see other people's ideas of how to crop to achieve a balanced end result.

Edited by Vicar
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2005 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Vicar Vicar wrote:

... With my colour sight I count myself lucky not to get a blue snake .

LOL!! That's also why I never touch the colour balance options on PS of PSP!

The blurring of the background worked very nicely, though!

Cheers,

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2005 at 5:20pm

Lee are you using any form of graphic compression on your browser? I get just as good a quality when viewing the forum as I do in photoshop.

Dean good point about over exposure and blown highlights, I'll keep that one in mind.

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2005 at 6:37pm
Brett, good point about the indoor vivarium look, I've found that seems to be a quality imparted to a few of my shots taken in the garden. Particularly when shooting animals on a uniform background.. no variation in background and the digital image is so vivid even without manipulation it doesn't look like a shot taken outdoors of a wild animal. (the image which started this thread is a good example, taken in-situ on a habitat pile in our garden)
Deano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 4:42am

Vicar

Where did you find an adder that could levetate!  Seriously, I used to take exactly the same approach as you have, but realized that the images looked slightly unreal.  We know what an animal in its habitat should look like and don't always see the oddness of an image but, other people do.  If you have a digital image turned into a slide this effect is amplified.

Deano
Better to be lucky than good looking.
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 7:48am
You've not heard of the famous Surrey flying adders ?? Well know associates of the Kent Ferret ! 

Totally fair point Deano, twas an obvious exageration to demonstrate the effect, a pic should be fit for purpose, and purposes can vary from scientific to artistic and many shades in between.

Do feel free to manipulate the test image in any way you see fit, having new ideas is always useful !
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Deano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2005 at 9:46am
Well there isn't much happening at the mo'. So now might be a good time to proccess and catalog all your pictures for the year.  I know this is a forum for herp related subjects but if you want to see some real good picture checkout www.birdsasart.com  Arthur Morris is a brilliant photographer and I would like to be able to produce pictures of Reptiles as good as his birds. He is about to release "The art of bird photography 2" which will include a lot of stuff about digital photography. I'm sure this could be applied to herps. When I get a copy perhaps I'll do a review - purely from a photographic (not bird) point of view.
Deano
Better to be lucky than good looking.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic