the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slow Worms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow Worms
    Posted: 04 Jun 2005 at 5:14pm
I am aware that gathering slow worms from the wild is illegal (I wouldn't anyway) but does anyone know where I can get a couple of captive bred cslow worms from?
I've heard they're not difficult to breed so maybe there is someone out there that can help.
Thanks
DaveB
Run for your life!
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2005 at 5:32am

Dear Dave

Where abouts do you live? and what sort of 'habitat' surrounds you? I would suggest that you do not keep slowworms indoors rather encourage them to colonise your garden - this may be possible if you live near old gardens, railway line, allotments etc. Of course gathering slowworms from the wild is not a good idea - in fact it is not illegal - but I would strongly advise that you look for ways of encoruaging them into your garden -

if you do not have a suitable garden then i would say that it is unfair to keep them indoors really.

Regards

JC

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2005 at 8:08am

Dave,

If you have slow worms in the area where you live you might be able to encourage them into your garden (if you have one) by building a compost heap and covering it with corrugated iron or black plastic (weighted down). Don't disturb the heap and make it quite large if you can. Slow worms if about will readily move in and live there. They might also breed there - mine do. If you have made it deep enough they will also hibernate there and emerge in March. Careful lifting of the cover will allow you to see them basking and monitor numbers/individuals. They will also go under  pieces of plastic/carpet/tin if laid on the ground.

Incidentally conventional dalek shaped composters are attractive to slow worms if not disturbed too often.

Suz
djp_phillips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp_phillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2006 at 2:34pm
Slow worms here enjoy being under things such as palets, iron slabs,
stone slabs, and I often find that these onjects are places on grass,
making a sort of dying vegetation under it.
Reptiles & Amphibians of France:
www.herpfrance.com

European Field Herping Community:
www.euroherp.com
Dan Kane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Kane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2006 at 3:35pm

I found one under a stone, on top of moss...

Wet and warm, in a forest track in Ennerdale, Cumbria... A school trip in year 5... What fun.

Dan

www.randacumbria.moonfruit.com
djp_phillips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp_phillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2006 at 4:38pm
well, they can be found in a variety of places, sometimes more drier
ones... under car tyres in a dump, under abandoned cars and other metal
objects
Reptiles & Amphibians of France:
www.herpfrance.com

European Field Herping Community:
www.euroherp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic