the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Toad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front limb disorder.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front limb disorder.
    Posted: 02 Oct 2003 at 11:53pm
Looking for advice from any toad owners or veterinaries out there.

I have a young common toad (bufo bufo). I guess his age to be just under two years (he was 1.5cm when I found him this summer). He is growing at an incredible rate and is now 6cm (nose to tail).

Over the past few weeks, he has gradually lost the ability to use his forelimbs to any great extent and moves by pushing his body with his hindlegs.

His targeting ability, when compared to toads of similar age, is quite poor too; however, as he had a good number of targets to aim at, his intake of insects was adequate.

Believing this onset to have been caused by some nutritional deficiency, I replaced his diet of gut loaded crickets and meal worms with a diet designed to mimic that of an insectivorous one encompassing a wide range of insects.

This diet consists mainly of a vegetable enriched catfood, a light pinch of vitarep powder, a small quantity of powdered cornflakes and weetabix, a touch of honey and a few drops of milk to achieve the consistency of paste which he can swallow. This diet administered behind his tongue using a syringe.

His 'soak/toilet pond' contains water treated with a aqua drops to dechlorinate and balance.

My question is: has anyone else ever witnessed any similar forelimb immobility in any of their toads/frogs? If so, what is this disorder and how is it best treated?

Edited by Craig
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 9:41am
Hi Craig,

This may not be due to a deficiency in the diet. I've seen problems in the lower spine and hind legs due to vitamin deficiencys but not the front legs.

I came across something that sounds very similar in an agama in Turkey 2002.

The reason I managed to get so close to this specimin was because his front legs wouldn't work. He was an adult ,and aside from the lack of mobility in the front legs, in all other ways he was apparently healthy. When put on the floor and encouraged to run by stroking the tail he would hold the upper parts of the front legs back to the sides of his ribcage, then with the forearms pointing out to the sides he would shuffle along pushing with back legs only.

I have asked on other boards on numerous occasions but never really found out what was wrong with him. I hope you manage to find out, as i'd be interested to find out what this disorder is.

Wishing all luck,
Alan

Edited by Alan Hyde
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 9:45am
Radiohead , Kid A ,Track 4

Edited by Alan Hyde
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 9:47am
Eh!? Any ideas Gemma?

I copied the address from the turkish post, and in the second post I tried to upload from my comp'

Cheers,
Alan
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 1:12pm

it's got me Al, the URL's are correct and the files are in the upload folder, though as it happens, I have a copy in you folder  (ooops I put up the wrong piccy before, should be this one)

Edited by administrator
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 1:42pm

Back to common toads with front limb disorders, the nearest I've seen was a batch of tadpoles I captive reared. All seemed fine until they emerged; they had no use of the front limbs at all and sadly perished. I don't know either what the cause was, though assumed it was genetic as it affected the whole batch, yet nutrition was the same throughout development as other tadpoles I had reared successfully.

I've kept adult bufo sp. on mostly crickets and worms for many years without this problem occurring.

Edited by administrator
Craig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 3:51pm
Gemma,

Now that you mention it, I do remember having had the same problem with emerging toadlets; in fact I even posted the question here, back in the Summer.

It is very strange, though, that, if this is some sort of genetic trait, it has taken some time time to manifest itself...

Do any other Frog/Toad keepers treat their tap water with dechlorinating drops before using it in a vivarium?

Whilst Tubby (his name) is quite happy to hide in his flowerpot and feed without having to go hunting (40 years is a long time to care for a disabled toad!), I would still like to be able to recover the use of his limbs. Any more ideas anyone?

Edited by Craig
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 6:33pm
Hi Craig, I don't treat the water for my adult toads, though chlorinated water can be lethal for tadpoles, I have never found any problem using water straight from the tap for Bufo sp. and Bombina sp. (adults) I've heard it suggested it may even have its benefits. For tadpoles I just stand the water in a bucket over night to dechlorinate.

Edited by administrator
Craig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2003 at 12:13am
Thanks Gemma,

I phoned the local veterinary sugery today and apparently one of their vets has good knowledge of fish/amphibians, so a chat with her on Monday may come up with a few tips and maybe even a cure.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2003 at 12:19am
That's great Craig, let us know how Tubby gets on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic