the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frogs...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iminei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frogs...
    Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 3:15pm
Can anyone tell me why some of the frogs in my pond are almost black and some are boa constrictor coloured with golden eyes ?????

I've never been able to figure out how to upload pics to this forum, but you can see the pics here

Could the black one possibly be a toad ?? (please be a toad, please be a toad, please be a toad...

...and once there was an orange frog!!! but she sadly died one very hard winter...note to frogs...butler sinks are not suitable habitat when the weather is freezing!

Edited by Iminei - 20 Jul 2015 at 3:20pm
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 3:53pm
These are all Common Frogs, Rana temporaria, and very nice ones too. They come in a wide range of colours (I like 'boa constrictor coloured with golden eyes'), from yellow brown or reddish to almost black, sometimes with black blotches. The disc behind the eyes is the eardrum.

No toad, I'm afraid, but keep looking.

Richard
Iminei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iminei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 4:45pm
Thank you so much for letting me know.
No, no toads but I have seen several efts this year (they look like big brown silverfish) 
and I once had a neotanous ??? newt...its my avatar...tho' I'm guessing hes long since grown and gone.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 11:56pm
I think many gardens have toads without their owners being aware. Whereas I often disturb a frog amongst the flower borders or veg patch I don't often see toads on the wander. I do have covers down and I find toads under them. If you could put something down you might tempt a toad to take up residence.
Lovely photos with the water lily leaves.
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 6:55pm
Nice animals and pics Iminei.
Just to add to Richard's comment, I would say that the Common Frog is arguably the most variably-marked UK herp species. There's some beautiful individuals pictured in the previous forum thread titled "How common are red frogs in England"

Cheers

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 2:06pm
Was out early this morning as I noticed yesterday that the prolonged rain had flattened a length of my tall grass that lies along a boundary with my neighbour. As she keeps her side mown, mine was lolling all over it (boundary fences are just post and three wires). I don't use a strimmer for obvious reasons and so hand clipped it back. Within the first yard of clipping four frogs jumped out onto her lawn. One was yellow-green, another fawny brown and two others darker brown. They were all youngsters but all different colours.
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic