the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frogs spawn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 11:09pm
Nine wow! Lucky you.
Suz
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 10:36pm
No need to be embarrassed at the quality of the photo - this is the best I can do (too cold to be wandering around the garden...) I count 9, but it is very cold out there...

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 10:00pm
Just been out for another pond look and found the above frog, or one very similar, in the same spot but closely snuggled with another frog! Hurrah!
Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 9:18pm
At the comma stage! So that must be a week or two old by now.
Love the purple toothwort. Have only seen the other sort in hazel/oak woods in Yorkshire. A magical sight as it was everywhere I looked. Never seen any since.
I now feel a bit embarrassed posting this image which I took a few minutes ago, as we now have spawn images. I didn't know it was there as I just shoot off shots and then come indoors and look at them on my laptop. It is a warm night at 9degC so I was surprised not more frog action. 

Edited by Suzy - 16 Feb 2019 at 9:20pm
Suz
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 6:21pm
very nice!

lots of frog activity here but no spawn as yet
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 1:40pm
Yippee!! Frog spawn (though not from the garden).

Several clumps at 'Comma' stage, seen near Looe on Valentine's Day (some friends also reported finding lots of spawn across Dartmoor the same day):

Nearby, i scored a personal first for an interesting and beautiful plant species too.

The 'regular' form (itself classed as 'uncommon' or 'local') of Toothwort Lathraea squamaria is parasitic on Hazel. The shorter and less frequent Purple Toothwort Lathraea clandestina occurs in a different habitat - very damp woodlands - because the host is usually Alder or Willow:

Edited by Liz Heard - 16 Feb 2019 at 2:15pm
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 5:20pm
Mmm now I'm not sure they were frogs the other day. Today I went out and there was much disturbance on the surface in the pondweed and I thought a frog, BUT it was one, or maybe two, palmate thrashing about. Having said that there was one trail of bubbles going off underwater the other day, like you get from a frog but not a newt! I will just have to have a proper sighting before I get over excited about frogs again! I did watch several times today as it was sunny and 10 degC (after zero this morning) but nothing moving except the newt/s.
Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 12:29am
No Ben..temps fell a bit this evening and all I saw was one palmate.
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 12:13am

Anything happening now Suzy?

A second warm, damp night here. The scene looks like it's starting to get set so i checked the ponds earlier and there were around 10 scattered males resting quietly, plus a 'gay' couple. However, it's normal to find low numbers of frogs throughout the year on all but the coldest days/nights.
My partner claims to have heard calling today, but in this sector at the mo, it seems all quiet on the south-western front.

I see frog spawn was photographed in Truro on 4th Feb though.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 5:42pm
Couple of frogs swirled off in my largest pond this morning. Temps are up...10degC today. Will have a look tonight and see what's about.
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
  Share Topic