the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > News > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seen an interesting news item?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 24>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 6:39pm
I've posted a few questions of my own about this scheme here:

http://calumma.typepad.com/lee_bradys_recording_blog/2013/07/plans-for-cotswold-water-park-solar-farm-cause-concern.html
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
Matt Smith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 2:16am
Well, you can all now rush out for a prospectus for this magnificent project, the Share Offer is now open as they seek to raise £1.2 million for the project.

http://www.wiltshirewildlife.org/green-living/Investing-in-Wiltshire-Wildlife-Community-Energy

Wiltshire Wildlife Trust and Bath & West Community Energy (BWCE) are delighted to announce the launch of Wiltshire Wildlife Community Energy (WWCE).

WWCE is an independent community enterprise set up to develop, finance and operate community owned renewable energy projects on WWT sites.

The 1MW Chelworth Solar Array is WWCE’s first project. Funds will be raised from a public share issue, and a bank loan if necessary, giving local people the opportunity to invest in community renewable energy.

WWCE will be raising £1.2 million to fund the project from a combination of the share offer and loans.

The Share Offer opens on 16 July 2013 and closes 15 September 2013. Please click here for the share offer brochure.

Note the use of the word "projects", suggesting they have additional plans or sites in mind.

Edited by Matt Smith - 18 Jul 2013 at 2:18am
Independent Consultant Ecologist ¦ Berkshire County Herp Recorder
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 9:24am
...perhaps the Wiltshire Wildlife Trust is also angling for a new airport runway on one of its reserves...
David Sanderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Sanderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 4:26pm
Can I just preface this by saying I don't read the Daily Mail but spotted this - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2398842/Familys-pet-dog-Ted-killed-bitten-ADDER-walk-country-park.html

WOrking in Manchester, I find it very surprising that their would be Adders in a park in Bolton.
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 7:16pm
This does appear to be a countryside park and the photograph suggest the habitat might be marginally suitable. Conversely neither Add an Adder nor Sliding Scales have any records (not even unverified) in this area.

What is more astonishing is that for the Daily Mule, this is a remarkably balanced piece - leaning towards fact rather than hysteria!

Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
John Newton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Newton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 7:52pm
The photo does not give a full impression of the highly suitable mollinia/heather habitat in that area, and I'm pretty sure that some individuals visit this area specifically to see adders - strange there are no records on MTAC or similar  -or even NBN. I will try and get more info.
John Newton

South Yorkshire ARG
Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 4:42pm
Just come across this news item published today on the BBC News website

Ilkeston railway station: Plans delayed by great crested newts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-28488008

As usual the GCN are getting the blame for a 4 month delay and the Councillor is quoted as saying "We've had a number of set-backs which were beyond our control and couldn't be foreseen".

Well excuse me whilst I explode -  this was completely foreseeable. The new road (on the left in the artists impression of the site) was built just a few years ago and construction started in the winter of 2006 and came to a halt in spring 2007 due to their finding great crested newts on site in ponds and ditches on both sides of the railway. Although there was a mitigation scheme to move the GCN to new ponds some 200m away, we all know that they never catch all the newts. Now 7 years later, although most of the original ponds have gone and a section of the rail-side ditch has been culverted, they have found GCN back there using the remaining sections of ditch and pond. 

What a completely unforseeable surprise.

Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 9:33am
I guess the usual case of the developers hoping the 'problem' would go away.

I have had several contracts in the past where the developers were aware of protected species presence literally years before surveys were eventually carried out at the last minute. It is then stated that the animals are at fault for 'delaying' the project!

Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 9:48pm
It is obviously "lets blame amphibians and reptiles" weekend on the BBC website when I spotted a link on the front page of their news website to a feature posted today with the title of "Boars Ticks and adders - The hidden dangers of a walk in the English countryside"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27588210

The good news is that despite the headline they have actually picked out the most common deadly animal that people encounter in the countryside and which aren't "hidden" at all but in plain sight - cattle. They have a table showing that in the ten years from 2001 to 2011 the HSE recorded 32 deaths and 439 major injuries. We've had one death and one serious injury to walkers near me this year from cattle.
The information about adders isn't too wildly inaccurate except talking about dogs they say "However, a number of dog deaths have been attributed to adder bites, including a possible case in Nottinghamshire earlier this year."
This is the non-existent adder in non adder habitat where the owner was told it "might" be an adder bite by the vet and it was then broadcast to all and sundry as an adder bite, whilst the vet backtracked when approached by the BBC to say "Therefore it is inconclusive. We don't think it would be wise to presume it was definitely an adder"
Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 2:24pm
on a lighter note then folks...

Ok, this isn't that interesting - but maybe worth a look..
Did the snake chase the frog across the golf course for some distance i wonder? there probably wasn't much cover for the amphibian to leap into..
great pic!

http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/Frog-escapes-jaws-grass-snake-South/story-22051445-detail/story.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 24>
  Share Topic