the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > News > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seen an interesting news item?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalchitri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2006 at 10:25am
again from the times.
8 new species of frog, as well as lizards and snakes, discovered in a remote part of the amazon rainforest!

link here

Edited by lalchitri
lalchitri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalchitri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 2:25pm

Birds get taste for tadpoles as summer heat keeps worms under ground

link here

several times this year i noticed water splashes indicative of some sort of disturbance around the edge of my pond.
on closer inspection there was often half a dozen or so tadpoles lying on the ground close to the pond.
some were still alive, some dead and some had their innards hanging out.
i eventually did the same as was mentioned in the article (i.e. cover the pond with netting) which seemed to put a stop to the problem.
i guess the above article might explain a lot about what was previously a mystery for me.

Edited by lalchitri
lalchitri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalchitri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 2:27pm
frogs seem to be in fashion at the moment over at the times.
thats the third frog-related article in just over two weeks.
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 4:41pm
I had a blackbird, or maybe several, taking a few tadpoles from my pond in spring and early summer. The birds had sipped water from the pond during winter and as spring progressed I guess they spotted the tadpoles round the edge. I have a preformed pond, so the birds can't wade in as the sides are too steep, but I used to see blackbirds at the edge making quick stabbing movements rather than sipping water and I think they were getting tadpoles. My brother who has large wildlife ponds says blackbirds and robins are the main ones doing this (he is in Yorkshire). I'm in Devon. There were only occasional visits and I don't think overall they made much impact on the taddie numbers. Certainly I didn't think it worth netting the pond. My neighbour has a butyl liner pond with a shelving beach and there were often wood pigeons or collared doves in the water at taddie time so not sure if they were after them or just having a drink and bath.
Suz
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2006 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by lalchitri lalchitri wrote:

Birds get taste for tadpoles as summer heat keeps worms under ground

Same story, but with a bit more detail

http://www.bto.org/news/news2006/sept-oct/blackbirds_newts_t adpoles.htm

Matt

BRAG - Berkshire Reptile & Amphibian Group
Peter Vaughan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Vaughan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2006 at 6:24pm

I've just been in Cumbria for a couple of days, where I saw this letter in a local newspaper, from the owners of Brownrigg SSI in response to the news of a dog (off the lead) being bitten by an Adder at the site.   A good, clear message I thought.  http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/opinion/viewarticle.aspx?id=421 350

Peter

Peter Vaughan
lalchitri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalchitri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2006 at 6:55am
save a newt for just ú20,000 again from the times
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2007 at 1:26am

Hi all,

Anyone know about a heath fire that I heard on the news last night at Chobham in Surrey?

Isnt that one of your old stomping grounds Tony?? I seem to remember Al being down there recently as well?

Rob

RobV
Huddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2007 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Peter Vaughan Peter Vaughan wrote:

I've just been in Cumbria for a couple of days, where I saw this letter in a local newspaper, from the owners of Brownrigg SSI in response to the news of a dog (off the lead) being bitten by an Adder at the site.   A good, clear message I thought.  http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/opinion/viewarticle.aspx?id=421 350

Peter

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2007 at 4:56pm

"Britain's last remaining poisonous snake"

Did I miss another one recently?

Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
  Share Topic