the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ecto -parasite?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Vaughan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ecto -parasite?
    Posted: 05 Apr 2005 at 9:29pm

While watching a group of three Common Lizards on a woodpile this afternoon I noticed one with some grey oval objects on its body just behind a foreleg.  Some of these seemed to be lost as it moved around but I took a picture of one still attached (to follow).

Grateful for advice on whether it is likely to be parasite - possibly a tic?

Peter vaughan

Peter Vaughan
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2005 at 10:00pm
Hi Peter ,
Yup, Probably Tics. I've often found tics on various reptiles out in the field , both here and abroad.

Cheers,
Al
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2005 at 10:50pm

Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 8:30am
Just a note for any amateur herper's keeping lizards in captivity that might have tics, i'd highly recommend a few cotton bud dabs of 'Frontline' pet spray. Very effective stuff that'll rid a reptile (or ya cat, or dog) of uncomfortable tics in no time! I clumsily once missed & got a soaked dab of the stuff on the eye of a Green lizard, & although the lizard didn't react at all, i immediately dabbed its eye with warm water to rinse & the handsome fella was absolutely fine, & within moments had shot off & grabbed itself a chunky cricket! Think his leg pit tics were dead & gone within 24h'rs! ( Doubt i'd recommend for shed skin eating reptiles like Leopard Gecko's though.)     
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 6:11pm
As Dave says above - probably the Sheep Tick (Ixodes ricinus). Seem fairly frequent on Lacerta agilis and Z. vivipara in heath (possibly deer as vector) although I have never seen them on dune animals.
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Peter Vaughan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Vaughan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 6:54pm

Further to Chris Davis's comments on possible vectors - there are no sheep on the site (a wet heath) where I saw the Common Lizard with the tic but there are Roe Deer and horses.

P.S. Are there still Sand Lizards and Natterjacks on the Wirral coast?  I lived in the area as a youth back in the 1970s, and although I never (knowingly) saw Sand Lizards I did see Natterjacks at one sand dune location.

Peter Vaughan

Peter Vaughan
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2005 at 4:38am

Hi Peter

Re the Wirral while there certainly were Sand Lizards and Natterjack Toads there, we have carried out extensive monitoring over the last few years without seeing any. Conversely it must be emphasised that there are undoubtedly small areas of isolated habitat which we haven't even found, let alone visited, so it is just barely possible that there is a relict population hanging in there somewhere. "The absence of evidence is not the same as the evidence of absence" (thanks Chris Gleed-Owen!). There is some potential for re-intros but this needs careful consideration of all the relevant factors.

Any Wirral inhabitants who know of Wirral animals? Let us at The HCT know please.

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic