the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

old red eyes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: old red eyes
    Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 8:43am

Had a discussion yesterday, and we were pondering reasons as to why the adder has evolved with red eyes.

Our Lacertids seem to have white(ish) eyes, albeit a little bloodshot at the edges, so we wondered if it had anything to do with mammalian prey....but the slow worm has redish eyes too, can't think of any evolutionary reason as yet.

Any thoughts ?

Edited by Vicar
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Jimpklop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimpklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2006 at 3:01pm

Hi Steve

Its been a while since you posted this and no one replied so i gave it some thought, bearing in mind I'm not a scientist  so I'm not very good at making connections like this and i have no idea how you would find out if the correlation is correct but here's my idea:I see Slow Worms out way past 20 degrees and you said Adders i quite tolerant to hot temperatures (or more so than other native reptilian species)

Its not really the evolutionary reason you were looking for but it my spark of some more idea's

Thanks 

James

Edited by Jimpklop
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic