the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Natrix - the longest!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2004 at 10:52am

maybe a wager would be in order then gems!

RobV
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2005 at 1:56pm
Back in the 80's I caught a large thick set grassy measuring 4ft6 with about 5-6 ins missing off the tail .
I kept her for a couple of days (Because I was young and totally in awe of her) then let her go where I found her .
A couple of weeks later I heard of a local lad bragging how he'd killed a Huge 'adder' while canoeing on the lake . I asked him to show me the snake and sure enough it was her , identifiable by the tail
Tony's quite right about the large grassys being just as agile and likely to bite. In march this year myself and a friend encountered this beauty out at brookwood . She was just under 4ft , defensive , and bit my friend (hehe , snigger )
She also did a great imperso.. eer , insnakeonation of a naja.
Here's naja natrix
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2005 at 7:38pm
That is such a great photo! She would definitely have a go at you if she got the chance! R
RobV
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2005 at 4:45am
Thanks alot Robert , most kind of you .

Oh , she was and awkward subject for sure , never stopped moving .
She slid along the path with upper third of the body raised repeatedly striking cobra style .
My friend who I was with got a better picture , view from the front of her striking towards the camera . I'll try to some how get a copy off of him .
Cheers Robert,
Alan
Paul Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2006 at 4:58pm

Just read through this for the first time - fascinating!

So have any biggies been found this year?

Paul

Davew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2006 at 7:34pm
Well the beast I saw and badly photographed in 2004 was seen a couple of times in 2005 but only very briefly and not photographed again. Sadly not seen at all this year. Still got a few monsters anyway with four feet being the rough average. Did see a real tiddler this year, probably just under a foot long and by a long way the smallest I've ever seen at this site.
Paul Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 12:45pm

I just thought I'd whet everyone's appetite by resurrecting this thread...

Anyone got any pictures - not worried when they were taken - I'd just love to see somebody holding a 5 footer....

Paul 

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 12:27pm

Ok so I set out today for kent at the crack of dawn (you know where Gemma!) and caught this monster for which I'm claiming largest. It measured 70 inches from snout to vent but what was more impressive was the girth.... 9inches around the section closest to the camera!!! 9 inches! It was like a bl**dy boa constrictor, I kid you not. I've got pretty badly bitten which drew copious amounts of blood. I'll let you know of the progress of the bite, but its not something I recommend.

Here she is. So who's the daddy?! 

RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 12:40pm
Mmmmm
RobV
Davew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 12:42pm
Well I've seen longer but certainly never seen thicker - nice one. I was under the impression that all "southern" snakes were a bit wimpy ;-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic