the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Natrix - the longest!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2004 at 9:33pm
Superb snake Robert thanks for the post - it warms the heart.

I saw a 6" grass snake, unfortunately dead - presumed a victim of off-roaders, way back before I become involved in conservation on Cliffe Marshes in the 1080's (Lee will inevitably tell me off for not logging the record - but this is probably the bottom of KRAGs' list right now).

This sort of thing makes me stop being a cold hearted 'bottom line' conservationist for a while and brings back the wonder - thanks.
Simon (KRAG)
Skywalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2004 at 9:37pm
I meant 1980's of course!
Simon (KRAG)
calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2004 at 10:24pm
It may be the bottom of KRAG's list, but it's never too late to send me a record...!
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2004 at 12:27am

Thanks Simon. It heartened me as well. It made up for all those times tramping around the forest and finding precisely nothing! Happy campaigning. R

RobV
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2004 at 9:17am

Interesting email this morning,

"as a youngster living in the Lake District (beside Lake Windermere) long grass snakes were not at all unusual. There were lots of damp meadows and of course some very undisturbed areas. How did people measure them? Well as they crossed unmetalled roads sometimes their heads and tails were out of sight and you were looking at the bit in between! - so over 6ft long."

Regards
Sue Dymond

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2004 at 5:32pm

Yes, and there is a bigger one in Loch Ness as well!!!!!!!!! 0:)

RobV
Davew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2004 at 5:35pm

In April this year at my regular Grass Snake site I first saw an individual that I estimated to be at least six feet. It was seen several times during the summer but only once photographed from a distance in the middle of the scrubby pond where I couldnt't venture to get comparitive feature measurements. On reflection and in comparison to the original photo in this thread my individual may have been even larger. Look carefully at the poor photo it coils around for most of the shot!!

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2004 at 8:51pm
Dave, thanks for the photo. It certainly is a very large snake but identification is difficult, wouldn't you agree? R
RobV
Davew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2004 at 11:35pm

Hi, From the photograph itself yes id to species would be impossible (other shots in the batch taken at this time show it to be Natrix but don't adequately display the size) I'd have to check my notes but I saw it around five times, usually briefly, and it defintely was Grass Snake. As to actual size it would be also impossible from the photo and the equally bad series of shots also taken at this time. It was distant taken with a x8 and as mentioned I can't get to the actual spot to measure features as it's in the middle of a pond. Therefore I obviously can't conclusively claim it as a six foot plus specimen however, I have seen hundreds of Grass Snake and this was easily the largest I've ever seen. Unofficially and off the record I'd now say the one in the shot was over six feet and am just hoping it's evident next year and I manage to decently photograph it this time. It really was quite an experience to actually hear it almost thundering away whilst the sedge shook wildly and I hurriedly backed up!!! Incidentally whilst this one was present my usual average of three or four individuals per visit dropped right off to this one and occasionally another if I was lucky. Additionly Common Lizard numbers were way down during last season but others factors would come into play.

Edited by Davew
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2004 at 11:29am

Dave, this is much like my Hindhead sighting of many years ago, I've no idea how long the snake was, but I do know from the head that it was massive compared to any N.n I had seen before or since. The above photograph gives me the impression of a very large snake indeed!

I think this thread will fire a few of us up for next season to get a confirmed 6ft+ :0)

Looks like you and Rob have a head start, as I doubt my Hindhead monster grassy is still around.. but you never know!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic