the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Natrix - the longest!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 6:20pm
Let's take nothing away from it though, damamge or no damage, Bertha is a handsome Grassie! It is a fine example of strain B in the Helvetica sub species.

R
RobV
pogomcl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pogomcl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 9:06am
thanks for the confirmation on size. when I went round and checked general information, nearly every site said "they grow to a meter or 50-79 cm max" but taint so.

I was in Srbsko, CZ and went off to the trees to take a wee, just minding my own business and a train came by. It was such a sudden appearance that I pulled up my trousers rather quick-like because she has maybe a foot or so from me. And she just kept coming. She must have just eaten because she was swollen, but long long way form river, maybe 1.5km and no place round for her to take a decent bath.

I didn't want to bother her, but she rather caught me with trousers down and the camera bag with lens was on the wrong side of her, so it was like, "do I step over you" and "do you mind if I take a picture?"

So smallest length I could judge her was close to 6+ ft because she was a whole lot longer than I was tall and I didn't really want to disturb her and the other problem was I couldn't even really shoot her. I had a macro 100 2.8 lens on camera so I could get like a section of tail. So I changed lenses, but even so I con;y got only the front end or the back end, but not the entire snake...

was like counting cars on a US train go by.. 98, 99, 100, 101, 102...

she was mammoth. really huge snake.
so thanks for confirmation that   grass snake can grow to considerable length.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic