the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Smooth Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smooth Snake Research and Monitoring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyPenelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smooth Snake Research and Monitoring
    Posted: 12 Jun 2004 at 5:23pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and would like to know if anyone who uses this forum either is, or knows of any groups or organisation that are involved in the study and monitoring of Smooth Snakes in the Hampshire area.

The reason being that I would love to get involved, as a volunteer or apprentice, in the conservation of these fantastic creatures.

I am about to undertake two weeks work experience at the Blue Reef Aquarium, Portsmouth as a head star to my career and will be starting college next year, with hopes of going on to studying zoology and marine biology at university in some years time.

Any feedback would be much appreciated as I am looking forward to making a difference and preserving the fragile biodiversity of our natural world.

Many thanks Liz Collins.

-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2004 at 5:50pm
...two hours later some brats set fire to the heath right on that very spot, picked up the charred bodies of 4 of them 9 0'clock that night...

Careful Tony, they could probably use this as evidence if they catch you, LOL ;)
Lee Fairclough
Chris G-O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris G-O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2004 at 1:22pm
Hi Liz,

We do indeed have a smooth snake survey going on in the New Forest, and one in Ringwood Forest at the moment. You are welcome to join in the fun (although i can't promise it always will be on those bad tin days!). We have about 30 volunteer surveyors signed up in the New Forest and we're turning up great sightings. I hear that someone on RAUK said they found one of our tins. Sadly i haven#'t got time to check every single thread so PLEASE someone write to me if you want to know anything about HCT surveys etc.
Liz - if you can email your postal address, email & tel number please we can arrange to put you on our licence and sort out a training session/maps etc.
chris.go@herpconstrust.org.uk

cheers
chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic