the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Reporting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First frog of 2019

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First frog of 2019
    Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 9:20pm
Was surprised to see this (what I believe to be) common frog in a small pool in a fast flowing stream this evening (9th January 2019) whilst walking the dog. Temperature was about 5 degrees C, pretty frosty the last few nights.

Not the best of photos as I had to use my phone and he was a little distance away.

Have also seen a few frogs bobbing around in the pond at night so shouldn't be too long before the first spawn I think.

chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 7:55pm
13 frogs in the pond as I type this, temps around 4degrees and dropping, but the day aswarm and sunny so the water should warm up fast
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 11:50pm
After my dithering over frog appearances, I certainly saw one swirl off in the  large pond this morning and this evening. Also there was a frog calling from in the pond-side vegetation. Not a proper call more like cat purring and another strange noise.
So far the daytime temp and this evening have been similar at 9/10deg. We had a white frost this morning with ice on the ponds.
Palmate newts seen as well.
13 frogs Chubsta brilliant!
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 6:40pm
First 3 males seen in the garden pond a couple of nights back. Hope for more activity pretty soon! 
JaySteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 8:42pm
A few nights back I had 7 male frogs and 1 female frog turn up at my pond. The female quickly partnered and was joined in amplexus with a male. But 3-4 days later and I've still had no spawn from them.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 10:00pm
Temp tonight 9degC

Saw these three in my small original pond. Nothing frog wise in the large pond, but about eight palmates on the move.
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 7:54pm
First pair spotted this Evening here in Essex.
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 7:56pm
over 30 in the pond but still no sign of any spawn - saw loads of water boatmen today, including one that flew in whilst I was watching!

Saw this whilst walking the dog along the canal this evening - I thought it was a toad but my other half thought a frog, you would think by now we would be able to at least identify them...

TheHabitatGardener View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHabitatGardener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 2:33pm
I would say toad because he is quite warty and has small back legs for crawling, but I’m not an expert and agree it can be confusing, esp when you haven’t seen one for a while!
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 7:40am
Yep, Bufo bufoSmile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic