the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frogs spawn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 12:46am
Went out half an hour ago and despite the winds, could still hear all the croaking and splashing going on in the top pond from metres away. Love that sound!
Didn't check for spawn as i couldn't bring myself to disturb them.
Hid behind nearby vegetation and made a recording instead.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 11:57am
Frogs have been gathering in one of my ponds for a few days (East Devon). Plenty of croaking and thrashing about. I counted 18 this morning, but there might have been more. I am expecting spawn any day, which I note is over a fortnight later than last year. Probably that cold snap pushed things back.
Suz
lalchitri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalchitri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 12:34pm
Anytime soon...
Notice the smooth newt in the top left which I only noticed when posting this pic.

Edited by lalchitri - 25 Feb 2021 at 12:35pm
Reformed Teetotaller
kevinb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 11:14am
I was out for a walk a few days ago and found a spring on the edge of a mountain track, it formed a pool maybe 18 inches deep and 2 ft across with lots of plant growth. The overflow came onto the stone track and formed two puddles just inches deep, the puddles contained maybe 30 clumps of spawn and the pool held nothing.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 12:17pm
I've got at least ten clumps of spawn in one of my ponds now (the only one they spawn in). I counted 22 frogs one day. I've never known so many days of croaking in the pond before and I'm tempted to think there were a succession of frogs rather than just one lot. 
With regard to Kevin's observations, why do frogs spawn in so many unviable positions? 
Suz
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 9:09am
Still nothing here even though there are at least 100 frogs in the pond each night - I guess that although the days are getting warmer the nights can still be pretty cold and close to frosty.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 4:46pm
Well yes Chubsta I worry every night that my spawn is going to get frosted and spoilt. I guess it can take a bit of frost, but how much?
100 frogs - WOW! Your pond will be like soup when they do lay.
Suz
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 9:03am
Very strange sight last night - it was cold here (-2) and half the pond froze but the other part was a seething mass of frogs and woke up this morning to 6 clumps!

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 11:46am
Good that you've now got spawn. I guess thrashing frogs acted like ice breakers.
We've had some cold nights here (down below minus 5 the other night). All seems OK with the spawn though.
Suz
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 11:19am
a couple of new clumps seem to appear each day now, the biggest problem is that the pond is so overgrown that there isn't a huge amount of space and it will soon run out
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
  Share Topic