the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frogs spawn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 1:40pm
Yippee!! Frog spawn (though not from the garden).

Several clumps at 'Comma' stage, seen near Looe on Valentine's Day (some friends also reported finding lots of spawn across Dartmoor the same day):

Nearby, i scored a personal first for an interesting and beautiful plant species too.

The 'regular' form (itself classed as 'uncommon' or 'local') of Toothwort Lathraea squamaria is parasitic on Hazel. The shorter and less frequent Purple Toothwort Lathraea clandestina occurs in a different habitat - very damp woodlands - because the host is usually Alder or Willow:

Edited by Liz Heard - 16 Feb 2019 at 2:15pm
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 6:21pm
very nice!

lots of frog activity here but no spawn as yet
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 9:18pm
At the comma stage! So that must be a week or two old by now.
Love the purple toothwort. Have only seen the other sort in hazel/oak woods in Yorkshire. A magical sight as it was everywhere I looked. Never seen any since.
I now feel a bit embarrassed posting this image which I took a few minutes ago, as we now have spawn images. I didn't know it was there as I just shoot off shots and then come indoors and look at them on my laptop. It is a warm night at 9degC so I was surprised not more frog action. 

Edited by Suzy - 16 Feb 2019 at 9:20pm
Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 10:00pm
Just been out for another pond look and found the above frog, or one very similar, in the same spot but closely snuggled with another frog! Hurrah!
Suz
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 10:36pm
No need to be embarrassed at the quality of the photo - this is the best I can do (too cold to be wandering around the garden...) I count 9, but it is very cold out there...

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 11:09pm
Nine wow! Lucky you.
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 9:29am
"A magical sight as it was everywhere I looked." Wow, i've only seen Toothwort a handful of times and never in profusion! What a spectacle that must have been. I've read that the species is declining though i don't know why - Hazel is as common as ever of course.

Checked the garden last night and things were hotting up. Quite a few frogs now including some pairings and the animals in my larger pond were making quite a commotion with their calling. I must get a sound recording of it this year!

Spring is springing.
Love hearing your updates, please keep em coming folks (anyone else?)!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 9:52am
Just been outside here in East Devon and see there is a clump of spawn in the small pond...where the frogs were photographed the other night. I did see them in there last night as well. No signs of spawn in the other two ponds.
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 4:44pm
Good to hear all.

Some spawn appeared in my garden last night. Noticed there are quite a few folded Watercress leaves earlier too.

It's been a very warm and sunny day here, i wouldn't have been surprised to see a slow worm.

Wonderful Grass Snake observation from Valentine's Day:

https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/observation/776061/stvalentines-day-grass-snake-er-                                                                                 

chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 7:57pm
lovely looking pond, lots of damp shady areas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
  Share Topic