the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frogs spawn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 11:22pm
Tell me about it Suz, I've got to net out a couple of hundred taddies in a minute for a water change. Spawn in our pond not looking brilliant. Lots seems to have gone off now and the embryos that are left are really tiny and don't look anywhere near ready to hatch yet. Have 7 trays of free swimming taddies, think will let them go in batches into the pond so end up with just one or two trays to look after.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 10:38pm
Today I've put about three quarters of the tadpoles back into the pond. They were free swimming. I've kept two trays which I might hand rear depending on how the others are doing in the pond. I've found that releasing them when they are big tadpoles they survive OK in the pond, but keeping the water fresh and feeding them in containers, as some will know, is time consuming and not always successful. 
The spawn that stayed in the pond during the last snowfall seems mainly OK and the tadpoles from it are just free swimming. 
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 3:08pm
Wow that is a nice haul of spawn!
lalchitri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalchitri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Suzy Suzy wrote:

Wow amazing!

All started from a virgin pond in 2006, with 3 clumps of spawn taken from another local (>0.5mile) pond.
Shows how starved certain species are for an environment to thrive.
Build it and they will come.
Reformed Teetotaller
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 12:19pm
Wow amazing!
Suz
lalchitri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalchitri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 12:09pm
It never rains, just pours.

Reformed Teetotaller
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 12:09am
I wondered the other day if any neighbours saw me from their upstairs windows doing a very slow shuffle for half an hour to and fro between my two ponds watching for frogs! 
Twenty years ago with my son and brother we fixed a white sheet up and put a strong torchlight behind it to attract moths. We sat around on garden chairs in the dark watching the lit up sheet....again wonder what they thought!
Actually when I think of it there is a long list of odd behaviour here!
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 5:06pm
When we release our taddies in batches, we float the tray out on the pond for an hour so (not in strong sun) so the water temp in the tray slowly matches the pond. Neighbours think we are nuts, but that was never much of a secret really.
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 4:38pm
Depending how advanced the spawn is, i would put the bucket outside for a bit to acclimatise it before emptying it back into the pond.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 9:35pm
Can I now be hard hearted and tip the whole lot back into the pond when better weather appears?!
Chubsta I am in East Devon. We are in a valley bottom and not a particularly favoured spot temperature wise. I have had spawn some years up to 20th March.
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
  Share Topic