the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Reporting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first frogs of 2018...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first frogs of 2018...
    Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 7:31pm
Ok, so the footage is poor, but at least some frogs are starting to move about despite it being mid-January and very cold. For those with poor eyesight they enter from the left - I won't task anyone with trying to identify them...

Edited by chubsta - 23 Jan 2018 at 7:32pm
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 3:12pm
That's neat! I saw a squashed one on the road near my house the other day, but only seen the one in my ponds some days ago now. However saw eight newts the other night and seeing some most nights whilst it's so mild (12 deg last night).
Where are your frogs coming from and going to do you know? I realise pond is the obvious answer.
Suz
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 7:25pm
It is a little odd because both frogs seem to be coming from the same direction, which indicates they have come under the back gate, ignoring all the rough grass, compost heaps and logs to the right of them. They are then heading diagonally across the garden, ignoring the pond that you can see on the left where the vegetation is, and heading towards a side alley. I can understand one wayward frog doing that, but two at once?
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 5:06pm
When we moved to this house almost thirty years ago, about this time and a little later in February, there was every year  a migration of frogs across the road in front of these houses and into our gardens. A large number were squashed on the road. I saw them on many occasions and they were certainly all heading in one direction. The question is why. We are not near a water body for spawning and at the time there was possibly one very tiny garden pond here. At the end of our back gardens there is a stream, so did they smell that? 
Were your frogs maybe heading elsewhere and ignoring your pond? Was it not their home pond?
Suz
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 9:36pm
great footage :)

chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 6:00am
Originally posted by Tom Omlette Tom Omlette wrote:

great footage :)

Don't lie!

I would be surprised if it wasn't their home pond, a quick look on Google Earth doesn't show any others in the immediate vicinity and there certainly aren't any other sources of water (we are on the top of the cliffs near Dover). Still, they both looked pretty determined so I guess they know what they are doing - I would hate to try and second guess what goes on in a frogs mind.

Haven't seen any life in the pond yet, not a sign of any frogs in there at night on my cameras, which is a little surprising as it really warmed up yesterday, about 10degrees and very wet.

Edited by chubsta - 26 Jan 2018 at 6:07am
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 11:36pm
Mild wet day here in East Devon. Went out at 11pm and it was 10degC. Heard a frog splash into each pond as I approached.
Suz
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 12:04am
As I had the first newts in years last year, any idea what plants I could put in the pond to encourage them?
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 12:19pm
In my ponds I have Broad leaved pondweed (potamogeton natans) and a narrow version of the plant as well. I planted these in pond cage/pots. I did have until last year water forget me not. This is apparently loved by GCNs for egg laying, so a bit ironic that I get the newts as I lose the weed! I also had starwort but it got smothered/killed by duckweed - which I have aplenty! I planted brooklime as a marginal but it can go mad and cover the pond so I just pull it out occasionally.
I have creeping jenny growing round the ponds and it has spread into the ponds by throwing out long stems with roots. The newts like to lay their eggs in the leaves so I don't rip it out. This is an invasive plant given to me by a well meaning (?) friend many years ago. I didn't know better at the time, but it has proved a good in-pond plant for the newts.
My ponds are both hard preforms so no gradual slope with scope for planting shallow water plants really. Overall the ponds seem to be acceptable for my newts.
Suz
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 7:24am
Thanks for the tips - I will be going on a plant buying spree in the next month or so, the pond is currently looking very good as most of the plants I put in last year seem to be thriving and there are huge amounts of snails of a few different species too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic